What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
dai_trying

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by dai_trying »

I normally am not a game player and this started out as an experiment to see how cheap I could build a reasonable games machine, I installed fortnite as the main test as looking through local gaming pc's for sale I found most of the sellers were asked if it played fortnite and how many FPS, I have mine set to 30-60 and it doesn't miss a beat, and I cannot see any point in playing with a higher rate as the screen is only 60Hz and so would not actually display more than 60 FPS (unless my understanding is wrong), but I am pretty useless at games and so likely a more experienced player might give it a better test. My son will be my guinea pig as he is more into that sort of thing so next time he's here with some spare time I will see what he thinks, I will also get him to test without the discrete card to see how different it would be.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

The buying used explains it for what I wanted to know. Buying that used you'd get a good price, new the cpu is actually more expensive than a zen-based Athlon, and the boards are about the same price, but used you can definitely find that APU dirt cheap. And finding a zen-based athlon used would be nearly impossible yet, as they aren't insanely popular beyond basic HTPC, and haven't been out TOOOOO long.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I did quite a bit of searching of what was available and for what price and it seemed to be the best value, although I might have gone a slightly different route if I had better knowledge of the graphics capabilities, but that said I am quite happy with the system and now the keyboard/mouse has arrived I have to make the decision as to which system to sell and which to keep. :roll: :?:
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

What generation i3 is your existing desktop?
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

It's an old one (I think i3 540?), I haven't got it connected at the moment as I have been playing with this new one, I know it runs at 3.0 Ghz. To be honest if it was just about which one is better it would be a no-brainer but I only really built the gaming one to flip, so I should just stick to my original plan and hopefully end up with a much better machine from the profits.

And I don't have a Windows Licence for the i3 machine so selling price would be pretty low, but it does perform well enough for all my desktop needs (with Linux) so will likely keep that until I get up to a more modern spec machine to keep.

Time is not my enemy with this little project so if I have to flip 10 machines (or more) to get a good one to keep (with little or no actual cost) I can live with that, and if I end up with a good modern desktop that could also play modern games with relative ease I would be more than happy.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Desktops have gotten REALLY hard to flip here recently, there's just such a glut of them on craigslist/offerup/letgo that unless it's something special in some way, people just ignore it. I was lucky when I got rid of my old desktop, it was an 8-core/32GB ram and I sold it for only $125 so it was sold...FAST. Sadly I left my blu-ray player in there instead of swapping that with the DVD+-R/RW in the new system. :(
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

Ouch!, I bet you wont do that again! I have gained a few bits in some machines I have bought like ram and hdd's that seller forgot to remove, and one still had a reasonable graphics card. I bet they all cursed when they realised as I paid practically nothing for them.

Gaming desktops seem to sell ok here, but a standard desktop won't really get much interest and like I said a bit of an experiment which in the worst case scenario will give me a better desktop to use for not too much money. :D
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So after a few flips you're going to be building yourself a Ryzen 3950x w/ 32GB ram and a RAID-5 of 1TB 970PRO SSD's? :D
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

That might be nice, but at the rate I go it is likely to have been outdated and the latest Ryzen 12 9864kx 64 core 256 thread will be out :lol:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont worry about beingt outdated particularly with games as there are so many games available from different periods. By the time I upgrade those games are nlow far cheaper and thus I save a lot of cash.
Site Moderator