What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

As a rare thing, I actually haven't been looking for new hardware recently!! I even had a chance to pick up a Thinkpad T480 (1080P IPS, 8th gen i5, 8 GB, 256 NVMe SSD) for $420 and passed it up!!!

Here on the 7490 tonight. I really love this laptop anymore. Arch running fantastically well on here. Just waiting for something to break in it. I don't think I've seen a program I use broken in Arch in almost 8 months now...so it's gotta be around the corner!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

As long as the hardware I have can perform this well Im really in no rush to do anything.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

At this point I want to try to force myself to wait for a Ryzen+ based Mobile (3000 series for mobile) or 10th series Intel. The 10th series Intels are JUST starting to appear, and the Ryzen's are still rare enough that most of the laptops based on them don't meet my specs, often still coming with SATA drives and 720P LCD's.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats the joy of waiting for me, as down the road Ill get some great systems for a very low price.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Back on my Dell 7010 USFFs running Linux on them, as Ive got Win10 running exclusively on the 7010 SFFs. I dont mix OS when dealing with Windows, to keep my sanity and keep things stable for my wife.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I just built a little gaming rig, nothing flash but it runs Win 10 and Fortnite really well!

Its a AMD A10-7850x on a Asus A88XM-A board, a GTX960 2Gb Video Card (2Gb GDDR5) with a lowly 8Gb Ram and a 128GB SSD, pretty fans with all the lights. I originally was going to sell it but am getting tempted to keep it and sell my i3 desktop instead!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive still got me my older gamin rig but dont game in Windows any more. Dont have the cash to build or maintain a system any more. I stick to my older games and play a lot on my older consoles, Xbox and PS2. Love retrogaming but when I get a huge urge a buddy of mine has a top end gaming system Ive used for tournaments occasionally, so I visit him.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So, 1 question. Why'd you build an A10 and go with a discrete card, instead of getting like a A320 board and a far more modern, and superior IPC CPU like an Athlon 240GE (which while it does have an IGP, is far weaker than the A10's IGP)? I can totally see going with the A10 if you wanted to use the IGP (since it's actually not a bad IGP!!!), but when paired with discrete graphics, I'd think the modern nature of the Athlon would stand out.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I actually got the Case,PSU and graphics card really really cheap and so I started looking for a used motherboard/cpu bundle for cheap and after looking at all the specs for what was available this was the best for my budget (I didn't want to spend much on an experiment).
I originally thought about using the IGP but after installation I ran the Windows experience index and it came out a disappointing 5.5, this made me try out the discrete card which raised the WEI to 8.5 and it is really noticeable when using the machine.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Depends on the game but if youre willing to compromise on resolution and settings you can get away with a mid range gpu which 5.5 seems to indicate.
The card youve got is good for what your using it for.
Site Moderator