What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

Eh, there's a few things that have slightly changed colors. One's light grey where the other is a darker grey. But yeah, very very very nearly identical looking with the exception of a few minor changes to highlights.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Yes very minor differences but overall pretty much identical. E6440 changed quite a few things.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yes, the Exx40 changed everything just about. Added support for a LOT of stuff the prior hardware didn't support, and it was also the first version that was made in an ultrabook format (E7240/E7440). Supported dual drives in the larger laptops (E6440/E7440/E6540) due to adding support for native MSATA drives in addition to the 2.5" drive. Just was a quantum leap in terms of what they supported. And in the E7x40's, also a HUGE leap in terms of how thin and light you could have your latitude.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Yep aware of all of that and Im sure down the road my opinion of the E6440 will improve.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Also the Exx40 has the distinction for having my all-time least favorite Dell laptop ever. The Latitude E5440. I despise these laptops. Find them utterly worthless. Ugly, heavy despite being fairly slim. Only a 720 LCD offered. Despite the heft, feels cheap. We had a bunch of these at work for a few years, I hated every time someone needed help with one, I just wanted to snap the thing in half to force us to buy a new one.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Back on my Dell 7010 SFFs mainly as I just installed Win10 mainly for my wife but decided since Im supporting her and some others Id better have an install as well. Also installing on two of my laptops.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Had to move up to 16gb of ram as Win10 uses at least 1.8-2gb similar to Zorin 15.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Here on the 3500 again. I've gotten so used to 13.3" laptops that this thing is just HUGE. I do kinda like it. I wish it had a IPS panel instead of TN every time I use it, but other than that I really like it for a 15". Been working fantastic with it's new SSD. Gets much better than anticipated battery life, although I think I had failed to realize that TN pantels upside is they use much less power than an IPS, so I guess there IS an advantage to a TN panel (aside from being dirt cheap). I'd still be willing to deal with the downsides of the IPS though. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

16gb now in all three of my 7010 sffs but wont be adding more in my laptops.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I was a bit surprised that my E6420 seemed to run Win10 better than my 7010 SFF.
Site Moderator