Finally got Win10 to work

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Finally got Win10 to work

Post by crosscourt »

My wife wanted it and a few friends wanted it so after we realized what the original issue was its worked very well. Installed Win7 or it was already there and downloaded Win10 and now have three successful installs. The issue before was we had OEM disc installs and they all balked but once we went with a normal install all went fine. Im still not thrilled with Win10 but so far its been fine and will post back after its all done. Ive got a few more to do but finishing up with the install on my Dell E6440 right now.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Finally got Win10 to work

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, even if you're not going to use it, worth installing it and activating it just in case.

And yeah, agree that I'm still not thrilled with Win10. I'll say the performance is really good in my experience, but I just don't like the look, don't like the questionable (I'm being nice) security decisions, and don't care for how intrusive it is.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Unfortunately Ill be using it as Ill need to do some testing and troubleshooting for the forseeable future till my wife gets up and running with all her software and mine will also become her backup. The build is 1903 and a far cry better than the last one I tried. Some things have been changed so Ill have to get use to them again. Ill be running it steady for now to see how it does. Boot time was 25 seconds with a 7200rpm drive, not bad.
Ive got it installed on two Dell 7010 sff and my E6420.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Brought her pc up to 14gb of ram and the 7200rpm drive is working fine though not as fast as the SSDs, it took 25 seconds to boot, not bad. Removed tiles from start menu and continuing to adjust and tweak. Resource usage is a bit high at 1.8gb but some of that is hardware and some is standby as Win10 continues the strange tradition started with Vista with memory usage.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I guess I need to eat some crow as this experience has been quite good so far and nothing like my previous experiences. So far my wife has been very pleased and seems to be adapting.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Win10 uses about the same amount of memory as Zorin 15 1.8-2gb at GUI. It uses quite a bit when online as well so upped my ram in all systems to 16gb to avoid issues.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Very odd yesterday as I install Win10 on the E6420 but it wouldnt activate like the other installs. I placed the drive into the E6440 and Win10 activated with no issue. I have no clue why that even happened.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The boot times with my conventional hard drive 7200rpm have been around 12-15sec, as good as the SSDs.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just installed the 1909 version upgrade and so far no issues at all.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Gees be3en doing a lot of Win10 installs for users, which disheartens me a bit as I want to see more Linux usage.
Site Moderator