Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

5 best password managers for Linux desktop

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: 5 best password managers for Linux desktop

Post by tlmiller »

Awesome that they have bitwarden at #1 after I just moved to it about a month, month and a half ago. :D

Other than that, pretty much par for the course, it's nice that they weighted it so that open source took precendence. More articles about "best whatever on linux" needs to do that.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Overall its a good website thats fairly balanced with its articles and reporting.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive never used one up to this point.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I started using one like 10 years ago, as there was some websites that I simply didn't visit very often and I'd have to do "forgot password" every time. This got annoying so I started using KeePass, followed by the various keepass versions that followed. However, the limitation was always having to manually sync settings. Then moved to LastPass, which worked well at the time and ended up using that at this job as well. However recently LastPass hasn't worked so well for me (nor for a lot of others, forums have been BUSY the last couple months), so moved over to BitWarden, and so far I've been VERY happy with it. Still using LastPass for work though, as we have enterprise licensing for work.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Dont laugh but I still have a very old personal organizer, the personal computer of its day. Small LCD screen, small keyboard and not much storage but I still use it to store all my passwords to this day and it resides in my home safe.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I actually don't know most of my passwords. I use 20 digit+ random passwords and only know the password to my password manager. So without my password manager, I literally cannot log into anything.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I keep a notebook with all my passwords written with ink! anyone remember that ancient fluid? :lol:
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I can't read my own handwriting sometimes, so something like that wouldn't work for me.

Regularly I'm in my D&D games (I write my adventures by hand in a notebook in pencil), and will set and stare at something. Players ask what I'm doind and I'm like "I'm not sure what I wrote here..."
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I have to say I do write very clearly in that notebook as my usual scribble is definitely open to interpretation at the best of times :lol: my general notepad is often like yours and so I now find myself keeping quite a few text files on the computer to make it easier to read, the only problem I have is when I don't name the file logically and have to grep my Documents folder for particular strings that a note should contain.