Might be moving to a new job

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
tlmiller

Might be moving to a new job

Post by tlmiller »

So, had an interview yesterday with Konica Minolta. They're looking for a L3 Linux tech at their local outsourced IT location (yeah, I didn't know they did that either). Had a 1 hour full technical interview on the Linux side of their support. We ran out of time, but going back Tuesday afernoon for the Windows portion of the interview. If I get it, it'll be closer to home (10 minutes less driving w/o traffic, but 25 minutes less when you account for traffic), and will be an extremely minor raise. I got feedback from them on the Linux portion, and apparently completely crushed the interview, so if I can manage to do well on the Windows portion (I should be able to, although seriously doubt as well as Linux) then if they answer a few other questions that I have (it's contract to perm so need to verify that when you transition they don't cut your salary from being a contractor mainly), I might just be leaving my job that I have already (only been there 19 months now, including my contract time). I hate doing that to my current company given that they've been REALLY good to me, and I REALLY like my job, but the drive to the new location that we just moved to SUCKS.
crosscourt

Re: Might be moving to a new job

Post by crosscourt »

Didnt know they did that either. In my area drive time is so bad you will do anything not to have to drive longer or farther to get to work. I took this job with my community as Maintanance Manager even though the pay was lower because I wouldnt have to commute at all. There are some downsides as its tough working for a management company who doesnt see eye to eye with you but working in my community is a plus.
Hope this works out for you but you do change jobs pretty quickly compared to my situation, as I was originally working for the Board of Directors then for the management company but its been 9 years.
Most of my side job tech work has come and gone over the years depending on the particular company and their support schemes.

Being able to get about the same money and closer to home is a great situation, as long as you dont get some bad apples along the way.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Prior to my current job, I was with my last one for 12 years. I learned that I didn't gain anything by being loyal.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Noone should remain in a job longer than they have to, but my case is a bit unique. I too have switched jobs quite a bit in my life as well as professions.
I began as a professional musician out of college, then retail manager, then tennis professional/coach, pc tech, online writer/editor, and now a maintenance manager.
Hope the job works out and keeps you busy and involved.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Any news?
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

They decided to pull the job req and redo it to also include programming necessity (perl, php). After my interviews I was a little hesitant because of talking to them it didn't sound like they really wanted to offer the amount of money that it would necessitate in order to get someone for the position. Adding the additional requirements I hope they realize that wanting someone who's strong in linux, windows, perl & php is going to require a fairly decent pay rate (basically, they'll get laughed at offering under $80K), so I imagine that when they do repost...it's going to be a LONG wait to fill the position.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats unfortunate but maybe down the road.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah. I don't really NEED to find a new job. With my promotion, I actually am REALLY liking what I do, and I make enough money to easily survive. I might not be in any danger of getting rich at my job, but it pays the bills and leaves enough left at the end that we can enjoy our lives sufficiently. So I'm perfectly content to stay here for a few years. And they're discussing maybe even sending me to do some further training/certifications in linux because they've finally come to realize that they need to start keeping their best techs instead of having the entire department turnover every couple years.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Glad they are realizing that.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

The key to it is "liking what you do". I've been forced to re-invent myself many times in my life,due to company closures,and layoffs. Some, I was glad to be layed off from. Others,I really missed. Life is too short to be unhappy with your work. You won't get a replay. Find something you love doing...! :D