Acer Chromebook 14

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: Acer Chromebook 14

Post by crosscourt »

Should be here Tuesday so Ill post back.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Sounds fun.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

This is nuts, the AUE for the Acer expires June of 2021. Then you have to buy another Chromebook and move on if you want security and tech updates.
Might not be keeping it as only being able to use it less than 2 years is ridiculous. Wish I had read a bit more into this before buying it. May have to fnd a model that has the longer support period. I understand where they are going with this but particularly people new to this ecosystem may make a huge mistake when buying after not knowing about the AUE. The Chromebook will still work though and as to whether or not being updated is a long term issue is unclear. I read that many users continue to use their Chromebooks beyond the AUE with few issues.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Which processor is it? I assume it's a 4 GB ram, 32/64 GB eMMC (pretty much standard).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

1.6ghz celeron N3160, 4gb ram, 32gb emmc.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

If I go with an Acer Chromebook 15 at $350 it runs out Nov 2023, $87.50 a year versus the Acer 14 $199 at $99.50 a year. This is such a strange business model that I cant really wrap my head around it. It appears you have to get use to picking up deals and upgrading more often, just what OEMs love.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

If when support ends you're not comfortable using it, that processor can be converted to a linux laptop via mr. chromebox firmware and a 5.0+ kernel.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I can use one of my laptops to run Linux so its a bit more complicated than that. She needs Adobe Creative Cloud/ In Design as well but we may be able to use Lucid Press to solve that issue. I refuse to use and deal with Win10 but my laptop is coming today with a copy of Win10 on it so maybe she can look at it and decide for herself. I hate getting involved with tech with family an friends as it never goes well. Chromebook is hard for Windows users to wrap their head around as you cant just go online and install anything you want. Its Google Play store and being online most of the time. Very different mindset is needed.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

If you wanna get technical, I believe the braswell generation also have Windows drivers, so if you had a Windows license key, you could even do the mr. chromebox firmware and install Windows 10...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Looks like LucidPress another graphics program thats available on Chromebook can import Adobe InDesign files so this appears to solve the issue as her graphics designer is using InDesign. Shes going to keep the Chromebook and see how it works out.
Site Moderator