Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Best Chromebook laptops for school

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Best Chromebook laptops for school

Post by tlmiller »

You always seem to post links to articles I read like 2 hours after I read them. :D

Also, their first several choices are all 720P screens (unusably low resolution nowadays for ANYTHING IMO), then 15.6" laptops (who wants to lug a brick).

Not a very good job of choosing. I can forgive the selection of the Dell due to the rock bottom pricing...but the other 720P that's a full 14", nope unforgiveable in 2019 at any price to have a 14" with only 720P. At least the 15.6 they mention is 1080P, although still larger than I'd ever consider.

I have looked at the Samsung Pro before. If it drops down in price I'd seriously consider it, It's a very nicely designed laptop.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I wasnt able to post articles at lunch today because of some things happening at work, so posted it after work instead. Thats been happening a lot lately.
My wife I think is going to go the Chromebook route which really made me feel a lot better as Win10 issues just seem to continue and many of my friends have simply given up on Microsoft.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Just make sure she chooses a decent Chromebook, no 720P garbage...
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

If you look for something used, a bit older (but fantastic), if you can find the Dell Chromebook 7310 w/ 8GB ram, it's AWESOME. I absolutely LOVE that Chromebook. By far my favorite ever Chromebook I owned, and if I had gotten the one that I was supposed to get (the 8 GB ram instead of 4, or not corporate locked when I DID get one that had 8 GB), I probably would own it still to this day (instead I've owned 3 and returned all 3 due to either being the wrong one or having a corporate lock on it). They only come with 16GB or 32GB drives, but they're real m.2 (2242) SSD's, NOT eMMC, so you can put up to a 1TB drive in it!!!

In the same range, the Google Chromebook PIxel (2015) is nice. 16 GB ram, 13" slightly more than QHD LCD, 64 GB soldered SSD (not eMMC by my understanding!!), very nice design. And USB-C (yeah, you know I'm all about that USB-C)!!

If you can find it for a decent price, the Acer Spin 13 (CP713-1WN-385L) is my choice in new Chromebooks. 13.5" high res screen, 8 GB ram, 64 GB eMMC. Mostly i like it due to the 8 GB ram.

Also the HP 14 2-in-1 (14-DA0011DX) is great. 14" FHD (1080P) touch w/ 8 GB ram, 64 GB eMMC and a 8th gen i3. And can be had for under $500.

In something a BIT smaller, there's the HP 13 G1 Chromebook. 13.3" QHD LCD, 8GB ram, only a 32GB eMMC, and a Core-M, so no fans to listen to (you see something in common with my recommendations? No low end garbage LCD's, no low end garbage 4 GB ram).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The Acer is one of the ones we've looked at and recently I recommended the HP 14 2-1 you mentioned as well. Im a Dell guy so I tend to recommend in that direction and Ill give the 7310 a look.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I still once in a while do a ebay search for the 8GB 7310's. I don't think I'd seriously consider buying one even if I found one for a great price at this point, but I still search. I'm tempted every day to buy a Chromebook Pixel 2 though. There's a refurbisher who has like 40 of them on ebay, all in pretty good shape, around $300. But offers "best offer", so could possibly get it for a LITTLE less. I know I don't need one, I have no real USE for one, but it's still tempting to me because they're REALLY nice hardware that went into those.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I looked last night and all the 7310 were 4gb but reasonably priced.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:10 pm I looked last night and all the 73102 were 4gb but reasonably priced.
Yeah, most were. There were only a very small percentage made that came with the 8 GB ram. Most of them that have the 8GB also have an i5, too, so if you find one for a good price, they're pretty powerful for Chromebooks.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They had both i3 and i5 4gb listed.
Site Moderator