What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

Ok since you really, really like this laptop, how long before you sell it? ;)
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Currently I have no plans to sell any of the laptops I have. Obviously that could change quickly, but at this time no plans!! The only one I'd consider at this moment is the 3379. I just don't like the keyboard. Other than that, while I dislike the Samsung not supporting USB-C PD, I REALLY like the laptop itself. The keyboard is fantastic (for a laptop) and it's semi-comfortable to use lying in bed with the edge propped on my chest so I can read the screen without glasses (many get really painful digging into the skin). So I can live with it not being PD, since it will still work with the dock, just need to plug it in to power in addition to the USB-C cable.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

One of the residents in my complex where I manage gave me a Dell Latitude E6430 with an i5 2.7ghz cpu with 4gb of ram. Its in nice shape so Ill add ram to 8gb and pop in a drive and good to go.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

So far very pleased with this Ivy Bridge based E6430 as it seems a bit snappier than the E6420 Sandy Bridge based version, but that might just be me.
Ive got 8gb of ram coming to upgrade but so far runs very well. Bios update coming as well.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm on my Samsung tonight. While it's (by far) the weakest of my laptops, I really do like it. The keyboard has a good feel, it's got good speakers, and while it is slowest, it's still quick. If it supported USB-C PD, it'd probably be my favorite laptop. As is, it is probably my least favorite due to the USB-C PD, but I enjoy using it.

So far Fedora is doing great on here. Added a COPR repository that tracks current plasma, so I have the latest plasma 5.16.4 on here, with a 5.2 kernel. So far no issues with slowdown like prior versions of Fedora. Will continue to use to see if it ever rears it's head or not though.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont think Ive ever used a Samsung system, mostly Acer,Dell and HP.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

This was actually the first Samsung (laptop) I've ever used myself. Certainly leaves an overall good impression. Fully plastic, but attractive-ish, runs great, like I said really nice keyboard and VERY decent speakers for a 13.3" convertible. Best speakers I have on a laptop, or have had in quite some time.

I have had more Dell than I can count (at least a hundred if you count the ones I bought just to refurbish and flip). I've had a maybe 1/2 dozen Acers, and maybe a score of HP. An Asus or 2, 2 Chuwi's, 4 Toshibas, and 1 that was a REALLY nice no-name chinese knock-off that I don't even know WHO made it but MAN, it ran nice for what it was. I think that's it for me. Can't think of any other models I've owned.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

If I want to go back a bit further I had Compaq laptops.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I lump them in with HP's. Even before they were bought out by HP, they used the same parts in their desktop lines, just different cases.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Here on my 3379 tonight, last machine I had with LastPass installed on Firefox and Vivaldi. Fully moved over at this point. Still don't like this keyboard, but other than that, this is a great laptop. Hoping that my AX wireless card arrives soon (although it's not scheduled until the beginning of October) so I can get that into the Lenovo and test it out. Still wish that there was an AX card by Atheros that I could test out too. They have a chipset, but no cards have been made using it.