Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

Blender 2.8 released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Blender 2.8 released

Post by tlmiller »

I have no idea what version of opengl is what, but since it was mentioning that low end systems couldn't run it any more, I tried to install on my work laptop (uhd 630) and it worked fine (not that this laptop is low end, but the graphics chipset IS), so I think they probably meant old not low end. uhd 630 is essentially the weakest graphics you can actually find above the atom devices. I want to try on one of my HD620's also, just to see. However, have nothing older than that anymore.

Just for gigles, I installed on my Inspiron laptop too (Vega 8), not shockingly ran without a single issue on that.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I believe the most recent version of OpenGL is 4.6 and a lot of hardware only supports OpenGL 2.0.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ok it requires OpenGL 3.3 which isnt too bad for most systems.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, the problem (IMO) is unlike DirectX, I haven't a clue what version most cards support! So I know the UHD630+ will definitely work (since I verified), but haven't tried the HD620 (I'm guessing yes since the UHD630 is just an overclocked HD620), or anything older to see where the cutoff in IGP's are for support.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

HD620/630 support OpenGL 4.5 so they should be fine. Im sure they would have patched the drivers to support 4.6 assuming nothing crazy is happening with the hardware design.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Do you know of anywhere that you can find a list of what opengl level cards support? Every single site will tell you EXACTLY which version of DirectX they support, but I don't know of any that tells you waht the supported hardware version of OpenGL is...

nevermind: https://opengl.gpuinfo.org

So, checking this, it looks like the HD4000 (haswell) is the oldest IGP that will run Blender 2.8
AMD's HD4750/HD4770 are the oldest AMD cards that will run Blender 2.8
And there are ALMOST no Nvidia cards listed on there, so no clue!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Glad you found it as I was going to direct you to that link but if you click thru the many pages(25+/4000 entries)) youll find many Nvidia cards there that will run OpenGL 4.5.

Back in the day Nvidia was always the best choice for OpenGL but today things have changed quite a bit.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My laptops presently only support OpenGL 2.1 even though my desktop supports 3.x.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

They must have had a huge jump, because you have SandyBridge IGP's on at least 1 of your laptops, yes? And then the next generation (Haswell) would support 3.3...