What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

dai_trying wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:29 am You could try changing the value from 0 to 1 which I have seen in some bug-reports relating to Qt over-sizing issues.

reference: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-69136
Well, whatya know, that works.

On another note, I've been using all my USB-C laptops in order to test them on the dock with an external monitor as the ONLY output. All have worked spectacularly. The new way my desk is setup it will make it difficult to use non USB-C laptops on the dock though. Plugging in a charger is quite difficult since there's a giant 24" monitor in the way (which is only giant due to how small the desk my dock is on is) making it VERY difficult to reach now.

Also had to raise my seat to allow me to see the monitor without looking up, so my feet are no longer flat on the floor.

Worth it...worth it 100%. Doubly since the monitor cost me $30!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

$30.... where did you find a deal like that?
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Maricopa...largish town/smallish city about 40 minutes south of the phoenix metro area. No major tech hubs down there, so not a lot of people looking for tech on Craigslist. And then there's that monitors are EVERYWHERE on Craigslist, so to stand out you gotta sell cheap. Although I'll admit this was cheaper than I was expecting to find.

Being that I am on craigslist nightly looking for deals, I have a tendency to find them pretty easy.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive got a swap shop by me, so I run over there and make deals all the time, but honestly, Ebay has had much better deals.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Ebay definitely can, and often does. But you CAN find better deals on Craigslist in my experience than anywhere else, you just have to have patience, and once the deals available, react quickly and have the $$$ ready to go.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive had some bad experiences with Craigslist so just got out of the habit of using it.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I don't know of anything I HAVEN'T had bad experiences with. But then, if you buy enough times, it's unavoidable, and I like to purchase online when I can. But there's no online retailer I haven't had a bad experience with. In fact, my current order from Amazon (new socks) was supposed to arrive on the 8th, shipping from WITHIN STATE, and has been completely lost I think. There's no ETA anymore even. Had issues with greedbay, obviously Craigslist, Target online, etc. So I still use Craigslist quite heavily simply because at the end of the day, I can find the absolute cheapest deals there even if it takes time.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The difference with Ebay is they will intervene in the bad situations directly and so do other retailers like Target. Ive had few bad experiences with Ebay as Ive gotten to know quite a few vendors and where to find deals.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Put a i3 3.4ghz in my Dell Optiplex 7010 USFF and installed PCLinuxOS 2019.6, very good speed so far compared to the previous 3.2ghz Pentium.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been increasing the ram in my systems to 8gb across the board given Im using some distros with higher memory requirements and also doing some tasks that need it.
Site Moderator