Top 5 Linux distros June 2019

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: Top 5 Linux distros June 2019

Post by crosscourt »

Cinnamon just didnt grow on me and I found it very annoying at times. Zorin so far is the only Gnome Shell distro Ive actually liked.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I haven't truly liked any Gnome Shell distro. But Mint Cinnamon is the closest. I know just LOOKING at Zorin I'll hate it. The menu is that hideously unusable design.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

My feelings the same...TL......
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The menu really isnt that bad and you can change its design if you like. Windows users would feel right at home. There are some nice touches with utilities and system tools newbies will like and the speed of the distro is excellent. Cinnamon has too many issues and so far Zorin has been more stable than Mint Cinnamon. I prefer Mint Mate Redmond over Cinnamon everyday. I cant stand Gnome 3 but this type of GUI I dont mind at all and they did a nice job with it. Its designed with the everyday user in mind noi expert users who want more options.

Capt you might be surprised if you actually tried it in a live session.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I did like Zorin ,but I had several problems with it,with my machines. I might try a live session,but right now,I'm trying to find work,since my shop repairs are almost non existent. Most of my days are spent looking for work....Ugh...!
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

How do you change the design? I installed Zorin on a VM, and in the settings there's nothing to adjust the menu to a usable design, and right-clicking the menu gives you no options. The default menu is absolutely unusable horrid to me. Looks exactly like a Windows menu. BARF!!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I havent tried it but using Gnome tweaks you can make more changes. I wasnt suggesting youd ever like it tlmiller as youre a devout KDE person and it suits your needs better. I like using a larger variety of DE's and I dont mind Windows style menus that much overall.
Cinnamon crashes too much and there are some design issues I frankly dont like, so stopped using it, liked Zorin.
I believe in Zorin appearance there are some settings for the menu design as well. Ive only been using this version for a week so still getting use to it myself.
I see Zorin presently as a great alternative for Windows or MacOS users to move to Linux.

Sorry things have taken a turn for the worse Capt. With your sound background, couldnt you try and get a job at say a local tv station or maybe a club/theater/studio?
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Probably going to try an install on the Dell E6420 and see how it goes and whether it works with the docking station and the backlit keyboard.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I picked up a HP LA2405wg monitor (24" 1920x1200) today on Craigslist for $30 to put on my docking station. So far, all my USB-C laptops work FLAWLESSLY with the external monitor while closed so that the built-in LCD is turned off (there's not enough room to use both). Only have to test the Inspiron still, the rest I've already hooked up to verify they're working. Seems plasma 5.14+ (all my laptops have AT LEAST 5.14 now) works a treat with external monitors. Far more options than the older 5.12.x had when using one.

WOW, it makes it so much easier!!

edit: I've now tested all my USB-C laptops on the dock with the monitor. All work great. I do have to open the Inspiron for it to boot. But once grub passes control to the linux kernel, I can close it. But the bios won't boot if it's closed. The Latitude 5289, on the other hand, will indeed boot closed. Weird.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I'm 58...I've applied for several which I'm actually overqualified for...I have a D.O.D. clearance,background clean as a whistle. Yet,I keep getting rejected,and I've turned down jobs that want to pay $12-14 per hour. My skill set is worth way more than that. The music/entertainment business is in the dumpster here. The DUI's have killed the bar biz,so no one goes out to see bands anymore. Theaters and large event halls are also suffering the same fate. I have several certifications in industrial work. So,that's where i've been searching for work. I KNOW it's my age they're discriminating against. They'll NEVER admit it,but I'm certain. So, I'll bide my time,and see if anything improves....what else can I do...? I have 45-50 applications out...had 6 interviews. All for no money....I may move soon. :roll: :x :x :x