What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

Most people I work with or help still have older systems, as I dont see current hardware very often.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

And for me being in corporate IT I rarely see hardware older than 4 years. Most of it less than 2.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Most systems I see are 6-10 years old.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Here on the 5289 tonight. Been a SUPER BUSY week for me,and I'm absolutely run down. D&D tomorrow though, so that's gonna be fun. Just need to make sure that Sunday I get up and do laundry...I'm literally down to 2 pairs of pants and 4 shirts before I'm out of clean clothes!!! :D

Anyway, the 5289 is working fantastic. I'm actually listening to some music on one of my Bluetooth speakers, and it works without a single issue. Been running a while, not hot (a little warm, that's it), and performance has been great. Definitely happy with this. The fact that it's a tiny 12.5" makes it all that much better for me. ONLY issue I've found is that the onlyoffice gui is GARGANTUAN on this. So I just stopped using onlyoffice on here. This is the ONLY software that I've found to have issues. I installed the same file on another system and it worked fine. NO clue as to why it decides to scale like 400% on this machine. I had thought about bringing it up to the onlyoffice team, but ultimately I figure this is such an edge case it's probably not even worth it.

Going hand in hand with using this laptop, so far Debian 10 (no Neptune, either, since not sure what version plasma they're using on their testing setup...do need to check this at some point) has been working flawlessly with no issues. I still think it's going to launch early in it's launch Window. I'm hoping it is 7/12. That's my dad's birthday so it would be cool if Debian was officially released on his B-day.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

tlmiller wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:41 amONLY issue I've found is that the onlyoffice gui is GARGANTUAN on this. So I just stopped using onlyoffice on here. This is the ONLY software that I've found to have issues. I installed the same file on another system and it worked fine. NO clue as to why it decides to scale like 400% on this machine. I had thought about bringing it up to the onlyoffice team, but ultimately I figure this is such an edge case it's probably not even worth it.
Just a thought on this, I had an issue with VLC a while back (posted in Q4OS forum) and it requires that I add "QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0" to the file /etc/environment to fix it, it has something to do with hi resolution screens so might apply in your case.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Be worth trying, I still have the onlyoffice repos (I install them on all my machines even if I don't plan on using onlyoffice on it) so it wouldn't take long to try.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

It might not be the same issue but is similar so definitely worth a shot. :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Increased the ram from 8gb to 12gb in my Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF thats running Zorin 15. Curious to see what happens, whether the ram usage gets higher or pretty much stays the same overall.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

dai_trying wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:07 am
tlmiller wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:41 amONLY issue I've found is that the onlyoffice gui is GARGANTUAN on this. So I just stopped using onlyoffice on here. This is the ONLY software that I've found to have issues. I installed the same file on another system and it worked fine. NO clue as to why it decides to scale like 400% on this machine. I had thought about bringing it up to the onlyoffice team, but ultimately I figure this is such an edge case it's probably not even worth it.
Just a thought on this, I had an issue with VLC a while back (posted in Q4OS forum) and it requires that I add "QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0" to the file /etc/environment to fix it, it has something to do with hi resolution screens so might apply in your case.
Sadly, does nothing for onlyoffice. Still has a gui that's scaled like a factor of 4x. Oh well, LibreOffice works just fine.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

You could try changing the value from 0 to 1 which I have seen in some bug-reports relating to Qt over-sizing issues.

reference: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-69136