HP Deskjet 1112 printer didnt install as easy as I expected.

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

HP Deskjet 1112 printer didnt install as easy as I expected.

Post by crosscourt »

Very cheap print only printer that came out in 2017 and should work flawlessly on Linux but didnt. Mint 19 Cinnamon and Netrunner saw it but couldnt figure out what driver to use(defaulted to cups even though HPLIP was installed). Had to add/specify the driver then once it was installed the printer was paused for some reason and i didnt realize it.
Once i had the driver installed I unpaused the printer and everything was fine. My older HP Deskjet was installed automatically by most distros, so this was a different experience overall. The older printer never had these issues and was ready to print.

Windows driver included and installed flawlessly so overall the printer seems to fit the bill.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Re: HP Deskjet 1112 printer didnt install as easy as I expected.

Post by CaptNoize »

What about on MX-17...?
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Havent tried it yet but Im gonna guess MX17 wont have any issues. Zorin and Neptune were fine and auto installed the printer with no issues.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Interesting as my other install of Mint 19 Cinnamon handled the printer just fine. Kubuntu 18.04 installed the HP 1112 with no issues and i didnt have to do a thing. Installed the HP GUI to have the toolbox and good to go.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Distro with the best install of my printer goes to Rosa R10. Installed with no problems and HP device manager/toolbox was installed by the OS, perfect.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

If youre looking for a print only printer thats dirt cheap($31.97 shipped from Best Buy), that has excellent print quality/speed take a look. My last cheapie the HP Deskjet D2320 lasted me 10 years.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

This printer is interesting as it has a sleep mode until you need it then it wakes up.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

My only complaint about any *jet printer is that the ink is, compared to lasers, quite expensive for a very small amount. Yes, my refills on my laser are $50 each, but they last me over a YEAR each, with no danger of drying out. For that reason, I switched to lasers long ago (and I got my old printer free, Laserjet 4250n) and will probably stay with them.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I switched to Laser printing around a year ago as I do not have to print a lot and every time I had to use the inkjet printer it would need the heads cleaning and it would vastly increase the overall printing costs, and I found the inks would not last very long at all. Colour laser printers now are a lot more affordable and I have already started converted the rest of my family to using them.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont print much at all so inkjets make more sense overall. My wifes business also uses inkjet as some features she needs arent offered on laser printers and the cost of new laser printers isnt that low. She replaced her Canon recently and got it for $87, formerly over $200.

It all depends on what you can afford, what feature sets you need and how often you use it. Most inkjets dont clean their heads that often depending on make and my last printer lasted me 10 years.
Site Moderator