Firefox-ESR 60 in stretch

Discussion of software apps
tlmiller

Firefox-ESR 60 in stretch

Post by tlmiller »

Anyone who wants to use the ESR path of Firefox, but has been avoiding it due to it being the outdated v52, Debian 9.0, aka Stretch aka Stable now has upgraded to the v60 ESR.
crosscourt

Re: Firefox-ESR 60 in stretch

Post by crosscourt »

Thats good news as distros like Neptune need ESR 60 badly. I only use two Debian based distros- MX LInux uses FFQ so Neptune was the only one.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Running Netrunner 18.03 which uses Debian Stretch testing but its still using FF58 not ESR.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

That seems like a really bad idea on Netrunners part. Either use the default base version (which I can see why they wouldn't want to given how long it was on 52), or make sure to keep it updated better than that. 58 has been EOL for months... If it was on 60 or 61 that wouldn't be so bad, but 58 is missing a ton of security updates at this point.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont get it nyself but still testing Netrunner so Ill wait and see what happens. IIl take a look to see which ESR version they have in their repos.

Whats interesting is they use Chromium 68.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've actually been changing several of my Debian machines back over to ESR. I haven't really seen huge performance advances myself in 61 or 62, and there hasn't been any real features I care about, so just decided to go back to ESR now that it's based on quantum.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Netrunner updated to a newer version of Chromium 68 but still no Firefox updates.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

THis would honestly make me a bit worried about an OS that was running a browser version that was that far out of support. It's not like browsers are never online so are unlikely to be exposed to security vulnerabilities...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Is it possible theyve done something to FF58 themselves? Im using Chromium 68 a bit more till I see what they do.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I suppose it's always possible, but I would think it would take more work to backport security patches than to simply package the newer version.