Linux Mint 19 released

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Linux Mint 19 released

Post by crosscourt »

Cinnamon,Mate and XFCE versions are all available with instructions if you want to upgrade from 18.3 or the beta version.

www.linuxmint.com
https://distrowatch.com/10244/
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Linux Mint 19 released

Post by crosscourt »

I decided to download theCinnamon final and install it rather than upgrade the beta as it doesnt take very long to reinstall. So far the final is a bit better than the beta dn a few very monor issues were fixed. Fast, stable and has none of the issues I saw with 18.3 and waited so long for updates to fix. Testing has gone fine and multimedia uses work fine, printer/network were auto installed and I had to add very few apps. Memory usage was around 500mb rather than 550mb with 18.3. Im running it on my Compaq system with 6gb of ram and Phenom X4 840 3.2ghz cpu and its very quick.

Will report back as Im also going to test the XFCE version.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I didnt care for the new Mint-y icon set and instead went for Adwaita as the icons more closely represent the apps identity.

If you spot a set thats better, post it so we can take a look at it. LM 19 has a lot of icons to choose from as well as many wallpapers.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

So far very nice and with this level of stability Im not sure Ill bother with the XFCE version except on my older pcs. Memory usage though with Cinnamon is 500mb versus XFCE at 300mb so if youre running borderline hardware the difference is significant.

The way Cinnamon is performing and looks maybe it will give KDE a run for its money as my favorite DE.

Looks like my top 5 distros will have some large changes.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Installed the XFCE version and its really solid and stable. Nice changes in appearance and added themes along with the new features included with LM19.
One of the nicest XFCE distros ive used this year since MX Linux 17 and for crossover users probably a great choice, assuming you havent already tried the Cinnamon version. Memory usage around 300mb and all hardware was detected without issue.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Had some crashes with the browsers, FF61,Chromium and Chrome but disabling hardware acceleration seems to have solved it. Ill post back after ive used it a bit. In some cases Chrome/Chromium wouldnt even launch initially.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Browser situation seems to be fine as I used all three since yesterday and havent had any repeat problems.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

LM19 gets updates very quickly and Im very impressed with how quickly they react to problems as well as offering added features.
New version of Cinnamon is hugely better than the previous even with its patches.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Tested the Mate version and it had a few minor issues with the menu and desktop rendering but nothing that should stop anyone from trying it.
Enjoyed using and its improved hugely from the 17 series but resource usage is a bit high in comparison with the Cinnamon and XFCE versions.

No issues with installation or hardware detection.
Site Moderator