Dell Inspiron 5680

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Dell Inspiron 5680

Post by crosscourt »

My AMD based 5676 died and had some case issues as well. I decided to pick up two barebone 5680 Intel based systems and so far they have been great. They use the I5 8500, have 4 ram slots, M.2 slot and plenty of room for a video card. They arent having any of the issues I had with the 5676 and in gaming so far, they are actually performing much better. I dont play a lot of AAA titles, as I prefer Indie titles and older games a bit more. This system works very well for those needs and parts are really cheap. Im presently using Geforce GTX 1660 Super cards but have an RX 6600 if needed. Ive got 32gb of ram and a 1tb Crucial P3 nvme ssd installed. The only drawback is the M.2 slot is right next to the video card, so Ive been having some heat issues. I installed another fan in the front of the case to help, but I may have to shift to a 2.5 sata ssd to avoid the issues. Not a big deal as in overall use there isnt a big difference. The esthetics of the case are nice, as it has blue led light bars that glow thru the side slats, that run the width of the case. Its a nice look but not over the top. The side slats also allow a lot of fresh air in to keep things cool. Creates a nice mood with my gaming peripherals when the lights are turned down in the room.
There is a lot to be said for using older systems that serve your needs as they cost far less but still work reliably.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Dell Inspiron 5680

Post by crosscourt »

Had to go to sata ssds as the nvme ssds were overheating. The nvme ssds are so close to the video cards you cant fit a heatsink on it and the added fan only helps a little. I added a 2tb sata ssd which runs at 26c vs nvme ssd that runs at 60c. So far performance is great with the sata ssds and Ive noticed no issues.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Dell Inspiron 5680

Post by crosscourt »

System came today and it was absolutely brand new. It had no asset tag and included all drive caddies and connections. Being a barebones it didnt have a video card, ram, cpu, wifi card or ssd. The vinyl tape was still on the case but there was one problem. They must have bought these directly from Dell or an affiliated partner as they were still in manufacturers mode. I created my own asset tag but the standard method of turning the Manufacturers mode off didnt work. I tried a few more things and then did was most of us do when bios options present themselves, I loaded the defaults. Minute I did that it worked. I updated the bios and checked settings and it was up and running. I added a i5 8400, 16gb of ram, 1tb sata ssd and a Geforce gtx 1660 super for now. I also added a much better copper cpu cooler and an additional fan. Im typing on it now and its running very well. The system cost me $100 and I already had parts so that was it. Given what I do and the games Im playing, it will last me quite some time.
Site Moderator