The weather has been crazy

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
wove

Re: The weather has been crazy

Post by wove »

The heat dome has been moving to the south of us, but has been extensive enough that it is pulling down Arctic air over us and making lots and lots of rain. We have had 13 inches over the last for days and they are calling for 20 inches over the next 4 days. I guess that means the river will flood for sure. When the river floods we loose all access from the north east and south of town, making for a 40 mile detour to go anywhere.

For us though the good news is the arctic air has been keeping the temps down. It is about 50 in the morning rising to mid 60s durning the day, which unlike the rest of the country which has been sweltering under the heat. Perfect for hiking and lawn mowing, and gardening, except of course it is raining out, so doing any of that is not pleasant.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just the opposite here as we wont be getting any rain for about 10 days.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Didn't get quite as hot as they predicted but we got to 93f on Friday, 95f yesterday and 94f today. Dew point never got above 70 and today we've got a stiff breeze and rain on the way.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Well all the rain is making for flooding. The only way out of town is to the west and it is about an 40 miles to get back to and across the river to head east. The Rapidan Damn is overtopped and it is expected to breach today. The pictures are quite amazing. The water just flowing over the top and around the sides, like it is just a stick in the stream. It is/was a nice recreation area. There was a small gift shop and restaurant at the base of the damn, which always had the best tasting pies. The pictures make it pretty clear those places are already gone.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

We had a hurricane when I first started working on the property and the Lake Jackson dam burst causing a huge amount of damage. Occoquan 19 miles downstream had huge flooding and the route 123 bridge was swept away and the I95 bridges were damaged causing one of the worst traffic issues my region has ever seen. People had to drive north to Manassas just to get to work adding double the mileage. There was no access north/south at all. They even used boats to transport people to Alexandria and Wash DC.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

The river is still high and flooding. Yesterday afternoon my son stopped by after his shift and we grabbed a couple camp chairs, took a long detour across the river to a nice landing. We spent a couple hours just sitting smoking a cigar, chatting and watching the river flow by. Saw a small turtle slide down the bank into the water, only to immediately be gobbled up by a big catfish. I wonder what the catfish does with the shell?

It was in the low 70s sunny, with high clouds and a light breeze. A nice setting and good company made for a really fine afternoon.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats the reason why my wife and I have stayed where we are so long. Its nice having family in the area, and having been in a place so long that it feels comfortable and right.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Temps are around 95F but it feels a lot hotter than that, even though the humidity isnt a huge factor. Took a walk and made it about two blocks and had to come home. We are also in a minor drought so its been a tough go.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

We are still in a drought and temps remain in the high 90s with feel like temps at 105 or higher. Not much breeze but dew point is in the low 70s thankfully, so the AC units can still cool effectively. No real break in sight so far except for a possible rain day on Friday. Heat wave will go on another 6-14 days.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Cooler day on Friday and some rain thankfully, but next week initially looks really hot. In my area it wasnt too bad today, mostly in the low 90s but the dew point is 75.
Site Moderator