DevHome installing on Win11 without permission

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

DevHome installing on Win11 without permission

Post by crosscourt »

Even with the developer mode off, the DevHome preview is installing on Win11 pcs without permission. Its been happening a lot recently and it happened to me yesterday. To get rid of it, type powershell in search, select it and run as admin. When the command line comes, up type this to uninstall it. winget uninstall Microsoft.DevHome and hit enter. Make sure to leave spaces between the three words as you see it here. I checked my pc and indeed the developer mode was off and I run the Home version, so why this happened, has me baffled.
Site Moderator
bin

Re: DevHome installing on Win11 without permission

Post by bin »

Seems to be going out with Windows update - so like nail fungus it will probably come back. There's also some evidence of it going to Win10 as well.
Let's not get all conspiratorial - of course it's nothing to do with Artificial Idiocy being rammed into every orifice!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It originally came out in an update late last year, but in my case it had never been an issue till yesterday. Its a lot more benign than the AI mess and Recall which is universally seen as a security nightmare.
Microsoft appears to have stepped back and Recall will be off by default in the future 24H2 but who in their right mind would run it. If Microsoft continues down this path it will really become the year of Linux as no company or individual will allow Microsoft to completely compromise their privacy.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Microsoft backed off with Recall , even on their own Co-pilot AI pcs. It will be off by default, but be sure they will be bugging you constantly to enable it.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

At every update:-
"For your convenience we have enabled the Recall feature. If you wish to disable it please work through the next 14 options screens all engineered to make it almost impossible to disable. Have a nice dAi."
wove

Post by wove »

That is the way of the world I gather, mostly products and certainly commerical. When I was young, cars were basic and everything was an add-on update, but over time the choice disappeared and you just got what they were selling. We could choose 3 or 4 speed manual transmissions or a slick automatic, but over time all you could get was whatever they put in it. Choice devolved into picking from a limited selection of colors on the seat covers.

Even in Linux you need to go through increasing efforts to get the setup you want. Ubuntu and its in house distros come with snap, take it, leave it, or go through lots of no newcomer friendly steps to get rid of snaps. Even more basic distros have gotten to the point where your only easy choices have come down to selecting your highlight color.

Maybe we are just at the edge of living in a world of tech serfdom. My guess is that 75% of the folks I run into out walking are glued to a screen, so it appears much of the world is ready for that future.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been using DoNotSpy 11 to disable many features in Windows 10/11. Its easy to use and newbie friendly. Increasingly users will have to take direct actions to control their installs, no matter what OS youre using.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Microsoft backed off completely and dropped Recall from their new ARM AI pcs coming out. Its still part of the insiders version and we will see if it makes it into 24H2. My guess is, it will not be offered until 2025 at the soonest.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The response was swift and large about recent moves made by Microsoft. The responses came from all quarters which Im sure caused them to back off for the time being.
Site Moderator