Microsoft intends to record everything you do on your PC for “AI” processing

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
bin

Microsoft intends to record everything you do on your PC for “AI” processing

Post by bin »

https://www.osnews.com/story/139462/mic ... rocessing/

Sort of inevitable really.

Disguised with a load of microsoft feature doublespeak, but it is only going one way.
wove

Re: Microsoft intends to record everything you do on your PC for “AI” processing

Post by wove »

Sometimes when talking with the boss, the boss will say; “I am planining on giving you a raise on the 1st of June.” To which you knowing the boss well, respond with; “Can I have that in writing?” And of course come June 1, the boss has no recollection of anything like that. So perhaps the AI thing would be useful. However I suspect that boss would only find a new “creative” way to not make a raise happen.

Historically this could be useful. Queen Elizabeth I kept diaries of her days, many of which have survived. The Spanish ambassador to her court also kept diaries of his life which have survived. The diaries diverge so much in detail of their interactions that historically they are not all that useful in tracking the build up of tensions between Spain and England at that time.

This is also the case when looking at the Watergate mess and the Vietnam buildup in US history. Many key players say they are referring to detailed notes they took of meetings, yet the accounts can diverge so much it becomes hard to believe they even attended the same meeting.

In those kind of cases it might be useful to have an impartial AI summarizing the meeting. But for my wife and I, we would miss a lot of the fun of squabbling over, “What I said I was going to do on Friday.” Over lots of family diners we have fun going over old events. It is often fun to hear the kids tell you why then thought you told them they could not have a car, compared to why I thought they should not have a car. Sometimes you find it all worked out ok and sometimes you find you really stopped on feeling and a bit of a grudge still remains.

I guess I can see AI changing those interactions, but I do wonder if it is worth it. But the question of whether you should do something simply because you can is always answered in the future.
chris

Re: Microsoft intends to record everything you do on your PC for “AI” processing

Post by chris »

Why would we need "AI" to record meetings? Especially "Generative AI", known to "hallucinate" and deemphasize extreme views. See the GAI of comments on Amazon products.
Court reporters have been doing exact reproductions of evidence etc. for years. No AI there.
Just audio recordings of meetings etc. would suffice. Transcriptions of the recordings have been possible, also for years, without AI.
The situations you quote are recollections of what was said, written by different people with obviously differing recollections, after the event. Contemporaneous recording (minutes of meeting?) would perhaps have clarified.
wove

Post by wove »

You bring up a good point, Chris. I have kept journals for decades, and it is clear reading them, that all my recorded thoughts on events are about how things affect me personally. While I think I am objective, I do acknowledge that my take aways are different than others. I am still surprised though at seeing how divergent accounts of the same event do vary from person to person.

Apple's Messaging apps and probably others as well, have the built in capability to produce a transcript of the conversation even providing a "closed caption" if it is video chat. It would be interesting to see how closely an AI "summary" corresponds to a transcript. If it is just another biased "journal entry", then it would have little long term usefulness. But then again if it had inherited your personal biases, it would be creating entries suitable for your own personal journal. If it is creating and entry with an MS bias then it might even be harmful. :(
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Let microslop record EVERYTHING for A.I. .... I don't use ANY microflop product, so, they're not going to get much from me :evil: :x Let' face it, windblows time has finally come, with all the other OS's that are available, their fate is sealed :twisted:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its not just Microsoft as everyone is doing this now as Google admitted recently. Even if you use Linux you have to be careful about what browsers and other apps you use to avoid the issue. Im hoping AI law will catch up as quickly as possible. Windows 12 will be the real problem but Im waiting to see what happens with Win11 big update coming soon. Most of the data gathering though will be on device and any externsive use outside the device would increase latency heavily so it has to be a compromise. You can also filter what you want to be seen or turn off AI Explorer entirely. New AI features will rely on specific hardware and will be limited with older hardware depending on the design. Youll be seeing hardware specifically designed for AI Explorer and that I would avoid.
Site Moderator