Is Sony abusing FreeBSD with Playstation?

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Is Sony abusing FreeBSD with Playstation?

Post by crosscourt »

For those of you who didn't know Playstation uses FreeBSD and makes millions off its use. Heres Chris Titus take on this situation.
https://YouTube.com/watch?v=DwHKbQFf_uQ
Site Moderator
wove

Re: Is Sony abusing FreeBSD with Playstation?

Post by wove »

That video popped up when I visited YouTube this morning and I had to take a look at it. I follow BSD as much as I follow Linux. Last summer I had watched the head of the FreeBSD foundation give her keynote speech. During the speech she thanked the major supporters of the project for their support, financially and in development. She specifically mentioned Apple, Netflix and Sony noting that some of their big sponsors like to remain quiet and in the shadows.

Certainly the a huge difference between BSD and Linux is the difference between GPL and MIT licenses. I have always that the GPL license is as draconian as any proprietary license one gets from Apple or MS and the MIT license that in essence says “Here it is do whatever you want.” Is much more publicly beneficial license.

My take is if you give something away then it becomes someone else’s to do with whatever they want and that is the MIT license. The GPL license says I am giving you this but you can only use it in ways GPL approves of. And while that is free as in beer, it really is not free as in speech.
crosscourt

Re: Is Sony abusing FreeBSD with Playstation?

Post by crosscourt »

Totally agree as I have no issues with Sony given they actually have given back to a certain extent.
Site Moderator