German state migrating 30000 workers to Linux

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

German state migrating 30000 workers to Linux

Post by crosscourt »

Look here, https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... migrating/

I reported quite awhile back that it isnt just this one state thats considering the move. It appears Germany as a whole has been looking at migrating to Linux and the studies are at various different points, possibly leading to a larger change. Hardware requirements are the biggest issue and the push of forced obsolescence, which strains budgets. Previously they had announced they were switching from Microsoft Office to LibreOffice.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: German state migrating 30000 workers to Linux

Post by crosscourt »

I believe it was Munich the first time around and they ended up going back to Windows but now they are also part of the various studies to drop Windows.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

Given that Softmaker is a German company and that Softmaker Office is far less alien (to an MS Office user) than LibreOffice - and is better with MS Office files - I am puzzled that they didn't go down that route. OK there's a cost but it is a well supported product and I reckon a good deal was to be had there............. oh well, what might have been......
The problem with the scale they are talking about is of course the scale. Munich's attempt was bogged down by a home grown linux that just could not keep up. Lets hope they have a good team behind them this time.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

From sources it appears Munich has approached Suse so not sure what to make of that. Totally agree bin as FreeOffice for me would have been a better choice.
Site Moderator