Electrolysis Rust Removal

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
CaptNoize

Electrolysis Rust Removal

Post by CaptNoize »

Has anyone used electrolysis to remove rust.? Lots of videos on YouTube showing how to do it. Looks interesting. :ugeek:
crosscourt

Re: Electrolysis Rust Removal

Post by crosscourt »

What are you removing rust from? There are many alternatives to electrolysis.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I'm not, yet. Considering an old gun,tho. Have you watched any of those restoration videos of old guns on YouTube...?
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Yes Ive seen the videos of gun restoration and they do use electrolysis quite a bit. Many also use the rust remove chemicals and put the guns into a bath of it and leave them for awhile.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

From all that I watched, and I've also watched comparison videos of electrolysis vs. chemicals, the electrolysis cleanses better, and is cheaper,and more eco friendly. My question is,should the dc power supply be able to produce more amperage...? Is higher amperage what you need to do the job quicker and better..? Some say 15v 6 amp is the most common. Most use washing soda, some, use salt. A chemist said to use sodium sulfate, instead of sodium carbonate. Which is better..? Inquiring minds want to know..? :geek: :roll: :shock:
Also, in my research, I found instead of using rebar as electrodes, if you use graphite rods 1\2" x 24" , they won't deteriorate,and build up rust " barnacles ". :geek: :roll: :twisted:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Look thru the many videos and you may find some recommendations from the better sites.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

After weighing what I might be de-rusting, I think for me,the best option is Evapo-rust. I would put the item in a pan and just let it soak, for a week. That's the cheapest and easiest way out for me. :geek:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive done de-rusting before with tools using the rust chemicals and just letting it sit for quite some time. Results were good and the leftover chemical I took down to the gas station to get rid of it.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

If I was de-rusting something big, electrolysis might be the way to go. I would have to buy a manual battery charger, something in the 50 amp range, since I would want to do it faster, and build a tank, and all the other nonsense that goes with it. If I just go with Evaporust, you buy a gallon, pour it over the part in a tub, let it sit for a few days, then it's done. I can pour the bad concoction out in the field by my home. No muss, no fuss... :roll: