Wubuntu Windows Ubuntu OS

Discussion on Linux distributions
chris

Re: Wubuntu Windows Ubuntu OS

Post by chris »

I took the bait. Downloaded (eventually, I had to use wget) and installed in a VM (VirtualBox). Got Conky and Vim installed as usual - why are these two "essential" progs not included in {X}ubuntu?
Paint.net next. What a shambles. I don't think I'll be continuing with this spin. LMDE6 is good enough.
wove

Post by wove »

“Chris” wrote:Got Conky and Vim installed
Oh no! We have a masochist in the group :o I do not really know anything about Conky, but Vim has always seemed to me something only people who can endure a torturous learning curve can use. Windows and Vim feels like the intro to a bad horror movie ;)
chris

Post by chris »

I first used UNIX (SCO) on an early 486 back in the start of time. Vi was the nearest thing to EDT on VAX/VMS. Hence, I use Vim (Vi Improved) now.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I must say I'm feeling less inclined to even download it now, @chris what irked you most?

And I always used to install conky on my systems but I have my own installation image now which includes it, thank you live-build! and I feel the same about Vim as wove really, I have tried it but found it not very instinctive to use, ended up with nano which IMO is much easier to use, but I know it has a large user-base that wouldn't swap it for the world! to each their own :thumbsup:
wove

Post by wove »

UNIX on a 486, that really is the start of time. My first UNIX was AIX on an IBM hardware, I think it was a Pentium processor, but do not really know. I did not have to do anything with it that would involve VIM. AIX had a CDE UI and GUI apps to do the simple stuff I was involved in.

I have read many articles speaking and showcasing all the wondrous things that can be accomplished with VIM, but when I have looked a using it for myself I alway just get scared and overwhelmed and quickly find myself in full retreat. I think it would have been very beneficial to run into UNIX and Linux earlier where I would have needed to work in a strictly in a text environment.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Watched a number of reviews of Wubuntu and wasnt impressed. Its already getting a lot of bad press with many calling it a scam.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

It seems to be dropping further down my priority list to the point it may have actually slipped off...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Havent been on Windows much lately as Im using MX Linux and Chrome OS mostly.
Site Moderator