MX Linux 23.2 released

Discussion on Linux distributions
wove

Re: MX Linux 23.2 released

Post by wove »

I have a lot more fun playing with hardware than I do with software. Not sure why but it is more fun fixing a broken hinge than it is trying to sort out a software glitch.
“bin” wrote:having to sort out sample rate problems in Pipewire
I have had problems with Pipewire as well. I have enjoyed following along with Pop OS and watching the Cosmic DE come together. I have also enjoyed the SilverBlue builds of Fedora. But in both Pipewire has been vexing. Sound is really something I think should work "out of the box". Endless is still built on Bulls Eye and sound works very nice. (The complete package of Endless is 16GB and includes the LMMS sound studio.)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Dont like Pipewire and prefer to use Pulse. I also like to work with hardware more than software and have always been a hardware guy over the years. My recent hardware has many more issues than my older hardware and Ive fallen back to using my older hardware a lot more. Wont be rushing to move forward for quite some time and will enjoy the advantages of older hardware.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

The issue with the old Logitech Webcam is 'chipmunking' and was fixable by altering the sample rate in the pulse daemon.conf to 44100 (default 48000)

The pulse-config file in pipewire allows for this. However, I remembered that Spiral Linux seemed to be OK with my system and so booted off live just to see what it did with the camera/microphone. It's a bit niche but it has to work perfectly with vokoscreen which I use to record training and demo videos. It ran perfectly in live so as I hadn't migrated a lot of stuff back to my main drive after messing with MX, Mint LMDE and SolydX I thought I'd just go ahead and install. I've used it a lot in VMs so I know it does work OK.

Surprise - it still works fine on the installed system. Spiral is definitely one to look at if you like Debian. It is just so much faster than bog standard!

Having trained as an engineer back in the 70s and certified as latop/desktop and server engineer with Compaq (takes you back!) I am most definitely in the hardware camp. My philosophy was always that I will build the thing, I'll fix it if you break it but what you use it for I neither know nor care - unless of course it is illegal, immoral or leaves sticky deposits everywhere!!! :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Spiral is a distro Ive promoted before here onsite and its gotten much better over time. Its one of the most popular Debian based distros out there right now. The devs that created Spiral also created Gecko a much improved version of Open SUSE that I used for quite some time. Im leaning towards using Spiral in my Dell Optiplex 7010 usff build due to the minor issues with MX Linux.
I did computer repair for Packard Bell and that was an experience but thankfully I ended up with HP and later with Dell.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

crosscourt wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:42 pm I did computer repair for Packard Bell .....
Otherwise known as Packard Hell. :twisted:

For about 10 years I worked for myself doing general support work of all sorts. This was in the '90s and PB machines were to be found in all sorts of places. My main memory is of the awful extra software they used to shovel in.. the build quality was something else..........
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I also worked for myself and did contract work for Packard Bell in my area. There was no lack of systems to repair with PB but gradually in the 90's things did get a bit better. I know it sounds silly but I actually miss the 90's, it was a very unique time.
Site Moderator