Really surprised how many people are using older and retro hardware

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Really surprised how many people are using older and retro hardware

Post by crosscourt »

A buddy of mine works at a large repair shop just up the road and while I was sick he told me that most customers aren't using anything close to recent hardware. Both sales and repairs, they are seeing pcs and laptops in the 6-12 year range. Even gamers are using older office pcs with better video cards to play popular online games, like Dell Optiplex's with 2nd or 3rd gen cpus. He also said the shop over at the mall isnt selling many newer systems and most are going older and used. The used video card market is very active and sales of new cards are a bit flat,with Sata ssds still selling very well. Win10 rules but a few actually install Win11 using Rufus to get around the hardware requirements. With all the hype online about newer hardware it appears the bulk of users are well behind the curve. Even my newest systems are 3-5 years old now and most of my other hardware is 6-10 years old.
I dont intend to make any purchases of newer or more recent hardware. The gaming market is terrible and I can play older games and my older consoles all day. Id rather be behind the curve and try to use what I have or buy dirt cheap older hardware if needed.
Site Moderator