What hardware are you looking forward to in 2024?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

What hardware are you looking forward to in 2024?

Post by crosscourt »

Whether its older retro hardware, newer hardware or maybe just upgrades, what will you be playing with next year?
Site Moderator
wove

Re: What hardware are you looking forward to in 2024?

Post by wove »

I am finding myself in a bit of a retro mood. It is fairly chilly out so I have fired up my old G5 PowerMac. Its rather conspicuous power consumption, helps keep the room warm :) It was the first consumer 64bit computer I believe. It does not take a very new OS, but there is a solid community of folks that keep patching things up. Interestingly there is a few reasonably new browsers available. Being BSD based hackers have sorted out how to update the root certificates on the machine, and a new SSL has been fabricated. Networking updates to newer protocols and the old OS just keeps chugging along.

Most of the tech world is obsessed with the latest, which is not all bad, but it is nice to take a look at older stuff and see what all it could do. I use my tablet and phone now for so much of the mundane daily stuff, that a computer is not needed so much for that. It is nice to just get into old database, drawing and publishing apps I use to use a lot and find that they still work just fine. It is also nice to see that updated BSD parts, feather themselves into an old version and work quite well.
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you looking forward to in 2024?

Post by crosscourt »

They are obsessed and Im not making any additional hardware moves. Sticking with what Ive got and being a bit behind the curve still works these days. Arent many new games I want and the few that are available will work on older hardware. More and more I want to just stick to older hardware and completely cutback on further purchases.
Site Moderator