Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

KDE Plasma 6 unwrapped

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: KDE Plasma 6 unwrapped

Post by crosscourt »

Wayland is going to be the default but thankfully x11 will still be available.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Discover has been improved and Im hoping its more stable than the last versions Ive had to tolerate.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

KDE Plasma 6 is in Fedora Rawhide. If you wish to try KDE 6 in Kinoite this blog has directions.

<https://tim.siosm.fr/blog/2023/11/22/kinoite-plasma-6/>

Being and OSTree build, you can go to Rawhide, try it out, then select your previous state on a restart and go back to the regular release build.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive already tried it using KDE Neon unstable and liked it. I didnt run into any large issues but there are some minor ones they need to correct.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I am quite committed to my OSTree builds. I read that Ubuntu is creating and hoping for an immutable system for their next LTS. That could be very interesting. A 5 year supported LTS on an immutable system would be great for those wishing for a very long term no headache system.

The interesting thing with Fedora integrating their Rawhide builds into OSTree is that you can run their stable build and their "next gen" build at the same time and pick which one you want on boot. The rawhide build will eventually be the stable release and the rawhide will just continue as a beta to look in at. I imagine that would be a real nice for developers, and for folks always wanting to peek at the latest that is out there you can have both and simply take your pick at boot. I am wondering if Endless will move into such a routine. Currently Endless development is done using Gnome Boxes.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im not quite there with immutable distros but down the road that may change. For now Im staying with my main three distros, Feren,Zorin and MX Linux.
Site Moderator