Just bought an Asus Rog Strix G10dk gaming pc

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Just bought an Asus Rog Strix G10dk gaming pc

Post by crosscourt »

I bought a video card online and plugged it into my HP Victus !5L system and the card had major issues and damaged the system. The HP still works but is limited as to what you can do with it now. I sas an open box Asus G10dk-wh563 system on Ebay for a couple hundred dollars and decided to buy it. This system doesnt use proprietary mobos or psus and uses a standard micro-atx motherboard and atx psu. It presently has a Ryzen 5 3600x, 16gb of ram and a 512gb nvme ssd. Ill add ram to get to 32gb, may update the cpu to a Ryzen 5 5600x as I had one from my old Alienware system and add a Radeon RX 6600 gpu. The case doesnt look like it cools real well but Ill wait and see as I can always switch it out to another case. Ill post back once it arrives and Ive worked with it some. Power supply looks fine for now at 500w.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Just bought an Asus Rog Strix G10dk gaming pc

Post by crosscourt »

Still waiting on the system but its going to be nice getting away from proprietary systems that was the only thing available during the pandemic.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Looks like it will be here sometime tomorrow. It will take a while to update and get the bios updated as well, plus add my apps/games.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Asus system came in yesterday and what a marathon to get it setup. Upgraded to Win11, lots of updates and adding all my apps and games. Updated the bios, added more ram up to 32gb, added my rx6600 gpu, upgraded to a ryzen 5 5600x cpu which was interesting, as ftpm wasnt happy initially about the change but that got sorted out. Added some fans but the fan control both in the bios and within the Asus software has some issues with fan curves. The one issue this case has is it doesnt have good airflow thru the front of the system and relies on the side case panel which has vents in it. Bad decision as I have to run fans faster than I wanted to as temps can jump quickly. Will need to find a better cpu cooler, but its up and running. Ran stress tests and so far so good so game tests are next. I got the system open box for $300, shipping was free with a Ryzen 5 3600x, 1660 TI gpu, 16gb ram and 512gb Kingston nvme ssd. I had some parts already from my Alienware build that died so it made upgrading really easy. Motherboard is pcie 4.0 so performance jumped up a lot from my other systems. It was a great buy and I can always swap out the case down the road for around $65 as Montech has some great options.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I did some adjusting of the fan curves, plus also used Armoury Crate and not only got the cooling situation better but was able to make the system a bit quieter. Using Heavy Load to run stress tests the temp never broke 79C and most of the time was lower than that. Using the Heaven UniEngine test temps stayed in the high 60sC once in awhile in the more complex areas going to 72C. Games are not as stressful as tests like Cinebench and Heavy Load. Stayed with the stock cooler as the 5600x is only a 65w part but the fan is running at 3000rpm with the chassis fans running 2200 and 1600 rpm. They stay at those speeds pretty much all the time. With the acrylic see through panel on, the noise isnt too bad and reminds me of some of my pcs from back in the 2000s. Ill be game testing over the weekend but its going to perform very well with this combo of RX6600 and 5600x.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Did some gaming tests and performance was excellent. I play a lot of Mechwarrior Online/ Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries and I wasnt disappointed. Average fps was in the 170 range with high settings. Not that you need a framerate that high but it guarantees you wont drop below 60fps and theres absolutely no lag/latency. Even though I put my 5600x in the system, the 3500x was fully capable of getting these numbers with a rx6600 gpu. Stability has been excellent and the only complaint is the bios fan curves really have issues and I have to make manual changes.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Outside of the case and its like of front ventilation, overall Id recommend this system to anyone who doesnt want to build their own system right now, but might want to upgrade down the road.
I also ran this system with MX Linux 23 and had no issues whatsover and performance was excellent.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Posting back after using it long term and so far its been a great experience. Performance has been excellent with the Ryzen 5 5600x, Radeon RX6600 and 32gb ddr4 ram, with 2tb Crucial P3 plus nvme ssd.
Cooling which many reviewers said was a problem has not been an issue for me. Im using the acrylic side panel, with an added 120mm fan in the front and a high volume 90mm fan in the back. Im using the stock cooler with no issues and while using the Heaven benches temps never break 80c. At idle the system runs around 34c and with the fan running at 3200rpm continuously sound levels arent an issue, with the system quiet by most peoples standards. GPU temps never break out of the 60c range even during continuous benchmark tests. The GPU spends a lot of time in the 50c range. Overall temps like the ssd dont break out of the high 30c range.
Given this pre-built uses standard parts, you can always remove the hardware and put it on another case if you prefer. The only strange aspect of this system is, the motherboard is a stock B550 Asus micro-atx mobo, yet it doesnt use the standard Asus bios. It instead uses a bios thats specific to this pre-built system. Bios works fine but has minor issues with the fan curves, yet its a full featured bios which surprised me. Had I been able to I would have built my own system but with vision issues I had to go another route. At $300 new with free shipping, this system was a steal.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Finally got the fan curves to work as the fan noise though not the worse Ive ever experienced was still a pain. Given the extent of the settings in the bios it amazes me it still cant get the curve right. I ended up using a software app that did a good job of adjusting the issue. I doubt I will ever see another bios update on this system.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Both of my other systems had warranties and are still on them but the Asus system had a 7 day warranty, thats it.
Site Moderator