Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

Warehouse- A powerful tool to manage Flatpak applications

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
bin

Re: Warehouse- A powerful tool to manage Flatpak applications

Post by bin »

Having been royally p****d at Thunderbird 115 I was looking at Betterbird as an alternative.
If you want it getting updates regularly as part of the normal update process, at the moment Mint does provide it as a Flatpak so I fired up my LMDE 6 VM and had a quick peek.
3Gb of space is what it wants.................... THREE B***Y GIGABYTES just for a mail client - and other Flatpaks are worse!
My entire OS install for Spiral Linux is only 8.5GB!!!!
The most powerful tool for managing Flatpaks is to not install them in the first place.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

bin wrote:The most powerful tool for managing Flatpaks is to not install them in the first place.
I couldn't agree more! I try to stick to "proper" packages as much as possible.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I use very few Flatpaks, mostly smaller apps. I have Thunderbird installed but it was all done thru the repos as far as I can tell.
How do you like Spiral Linux? I havent used it it in awhile but initially was one of my favorites.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

crosscourt wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:10 pm How do you like Spiral Linux? I havent used it it in awhile but initially was one of my favorites.
There's a lot to like in as much as gecko has gone for a stripped down base - but with some added goodies which anyone could install if they knew about it.
The latest release seems to be a general improvement, I can't put my finger on it but earlier on I did find some odd omissions that I can't remember now - mostly GUI stuff surrounding Synaptic.
Main reason for going back to it has been ingoing investigating switching over to Cinnamon from XFCE. Spiral at least is pure Debian - no extra repos.
A lot of the stuff in Mint adds value in the hand holding and user friendly experience area, and one or two really useful time saving tools.
Both LMDE and Spiral do the job. With Mint though a lot of the issues seem to be Ubuntu users and self inflicted :lol: LMDE - not so many use it so hard to compare vis-a-vis issues with Cinnamon itself.
From what I gather, any fixes and changes in Cinnamon for the Ubuntu releases do work back to LMDE. I don't know if they find their way out to the Debian repos - but suspect they don't. That would leave Spiral et al. trailing.
wove

Post by wove »

I had good luck installing Debian Bookworm on the 2008 MBP. I took a look at Spiral linux, mostly because I had never heard of it before @bin's mention of it. I cannot even get it to boot the 2008 MBP. Grub comes up, I tried the stock boot to live, but after a few minutes it went to a black screen and just froze up. I tried it again choosing "safe mode" and it did just as before, going to a black screen and just freezing.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive mentioned Spiral Linux before onsite and had a good experience with it. It worked on a variety of pc/laptop hardware from 2008 to 2016.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im still playing with Fedora SilverBlue and it relies on Flatpaks along with Endless OS.
Site Moderator