Install Win11 on unsupported hardware

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Install Win11 on unsupported hardware

Post by crosscourt »

Im typing on a Dell Optiplex 7010 using a third gen i5 that is not supported by Win11. Using a Win11 iso and Rufus to make changes to the iso while copying it to a USB drive, you will be able to install Win11.

Look here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL_maCWM5bk

As to whether MS will ever nix these installs, that remains to be seen. With the impending release of Win12 next yea,r I dont think they will bother to go after anyone.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Install Win11 on unsupported hardware

Post by crosscourt »

Installed Win11 on my HP Elitedesk 705 G4 mini and it went very well. System performs very well and it may become my wifes future system if she decides to downsize to a minipc.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Taking things where they really do not belong can be fun and an interesting challenge. While I have not had the success I hoped for with my old 17" 2010 MBP running Linux. I was able to get the latest Mac OS Sonoma on it. It is a 1st gen i7, with lousy intel graphics and old Nvidia graphics, 8GB of RAM and an SSD. Battery life dropped from ~7hrs down to 5-6hrs. There are a few things that do not work, but for just consumption, reading, writing and simple drawing and painting work well. I pulled in all the essential build tools and they work too. However compiling Krita for it took ~9 hours. That is a long time, but of course I was using the machine for surfing and streaming some media to the TV at the same time. So while not fast it chugged on through without a hitch.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I use to own some Dell Latitude first gen laptops with i5 cpus and they ran both Win10/11 very well. They had 8gb of ram and 256gb sata ssds.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

This does beg the question of why all the constant updating of hardware and software. The Mars Rover uses a PowerPC 750 running a 200MHz, with 2GB of flash storage and 256MB of RAM and it is very productive and reliable piece of hardware. That was a big step up from the Apollo space craft, which used RTL logic circuits running at 2MHz with 4KB or RAM and 72KB of ROM.

It is somewhat amusing to think that a machine is crawling around a different planet doing all manner of experiments with a brain roughly equivalent to the original iMac, which was considered rather under powered when released, and has long since been relegated to the dust bin of history.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

If it werent for gaming Id still be using my 1st-3rd gen Intel cpus as they run very well. Only those who do more high end things would need to upgrade. Its all a game to sell hardware and software and keep things moving and market aggressively making people think they must have it. I certainly have made that mistake a few times over the years but no more.

My father in law before he died in 2005 was still using his Pentium 200mhz system in an older case for all his database work with no issues.
Site Moderator