Dell Latitude 7370 burned up

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Dell Latitude 7370 burned up

Post by crosscourt »

This is a 13 inch laptop thats an almost ultrabook design , with an Intel Core M 1.2ghz cpu. It doesnt use a cpu fan and runs quite hot. Over time I was having some battery issues, so I opened up the laptop and found the battery had ballooned and could have quite easily burst or caught fire. This laptop has been retired as its design is simply too poor to be able to use safely. If you own one of these laptops keep an eye on your battery. A better choice is the E7270 a 12 inch laptop with an i5 cpu and much better cooling.
Site Moderator
wove

Re: Dell Latitude 7370 burned up

Post by wove »

I replaced a bulging battery in a HP laptop about a year ago. I made the fellow take the bad battery with him when he picked up the laptop. I have no idea what sort of hazard a bulging battery might be, but I did not want to deal with it. The laptop was only about a year old and I do not recall the specific model. Overall it was not a very impressive or well built machine. I have never owned an HP machine, but HP did at one point have an excellent reputation for their equipment. I do have an HP printer, which has been reliable, but it too is not really well made.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Having no vents and and no cpu fan in such a small case is a terrible idea.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

Takes me back to the late 00's at work. One of our developers was all MAC and I recall him coming over with a 1 year old Macbook Pro (I think it was). The aluminium case was bulging as a result of battery swelling.
Needless to say the machine was replaced but it goes to show that price and build are no guarantee of component quality.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

There were reports that people were actually burned by the 7370 having the laptop on their lap. When you use it for extended periods you can feel the heat thru the keyboard.
When I unscrewed the bottom panel the laptop battery had ballooned all over the bottom of the case and it flung the panel up the minute the screws were loose.
Site Moderator