Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Bodhi Linux 7.0 released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Bodhi Linux 7.0 released

Post by crosscourt »

I havent run Bodhi in quite awhile, probably should give it a look.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Bodhi Linux has always been interesting for me because it makes no assumptions about what you may wish to use it for. It ships as a very simple clean easy to use work space, where you can add just the applications you wish to work with.

Yesterday, I was listening to music with Rhythmbox and writing some notes and organizing others in Zim. I had to install Rhythmbox, Zim and NextCloud since they are not included. With those applications all up and running the system was using ~350MB.

This leads one to think Bohdi is designed for low resource machines, but the general low resource usage of the distro makes it wonderful for using very high resource needed applications. Applications such as KdenLive are snappy and responsive, qemu can run multiple VMs. You can easily run NextCloud in a container in the background while continuing to run the Bodhi desktop for normal day to day work.

I think if you have been using an XFCE environment because of its low resource footprint, you would find Bodhi a nice workable alternative. The Maksha desktop is as customizable as Plasma, however Bodhi places little emphasis on that feature providing a simple clean desktop with a nice straight forward menu system.

Packages are handled via Synaptic or apt in the terminal. It is not really focused on being new user friendly, but it is simple and straight forward to use and provides solid documentation. If you are looking to become a proficient Linux user it is a solid distro to start the journey.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Used Bodhi a lot back in the Enlightenment days but after my first look at Moksha I never went back. Ive glanced at it at times but not recently.
Site Moderator