THIN LIZZY

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
CaptNoize

THIN LIZZY

Post by CaptNoize »

How many of you like Thin Lizzy..?? These guys taught me alot about guitar playing and soloing. I once talked to Bono,(U2) and he told me " I'm not worthy to carry Phil Lynot 's guitar case. Amazing band.. :shock:
wove

Re: THIN LIZZY

Post by wove »

Like most rock groups, I had heard the name but was not familiar with them so I went to YouTube to see what they had. They did Whiskey in a Jar, a song I am familiar with, so I gave it a listen.

Whiskey in a Jar is an old song, with the first reference to it made in 1650. I imagine groups cover it, because it is in the public domain and they do not have to pay royalties to use it. For a song it is really great. It can be done successfully in so many different styles.

Music is sort of like Linux Distro, everyone has the ones they feel comfortable with.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Wove,
You need to checkout " Cowboy Song" . It starts out like a slow country song then turns into a full tilt rocker. Has all the anthemic choruses, and bombastic guitar solos. The more familiar songs of theirs are " Jailbreak " and " The Boys Are Back in Town ". One I highly recommend is "Dancing in the Moonlight". I hit 100,000 on the pinball machine, when I was listening to them in my teens :D
wove

Post by wove »

I have heard "The Boys are Back in Town". I never associated it with a group. When you work in a shop there is always someone with a radio playing. I tended to go with classical on public radio, but the consensus was that classical "sucked" and the radio was generally set to a pop/rock station. So there is lots of music I have listened to without ever paying close attention to it.

100,000 on pinball!,nice work. I loved wasting a few quarters on pinball when I was younger. I miss seeing them around. Seems like you use to see them everywhere, gas stations, pool halls, bowling alleys. Loved the lights and sounds. I think you are right, hard rock is probably just the ticket for background music while playing some pinball. :)
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I'm a classically trained musician. Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Wagner, and Handel are all heros of mine. However, when I was 10, I got bitten by Black Sabbath..! Alice Cooper started to tempt me, then Kiss, Thin Lizzy, Rush and UFO..! :lol: I loved playing sports, but after a severe ankle injury,my athletic ambitions turned to music ambitions. It led me to a 45 year career,which I'm still doing to this day. For a brief stint in my life I worked for a vending company. All I did was move, fix and play pinball machines,and video games. It was a neat job, but the one owner was an asshole. Left it to go back touring with bands.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Honestly didnt know that those songs were from this group but certainly was aware of all of them. Spent many a day on all sorts of arcade machines with Galaga being my best as I would get many free replays.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

When I worked for the vending company, we had 10 Galagas, 15 double dragons, 30 pinball machines,100 pool tables, 500 dart machines, and well over 1000 poker machines. Tons of odd ball shooting games,space games,and a boatload of crane machines
(with plush in them). Oh, and over 100 juke boxes and 200 cigarette machines. To get back to Thin Lizzy, the " Jailbreak " album was somewhat of a concept album. It had somewhat of a Marvel comic book cover, and a sci-fi themed story,about the title track Jailbreak on the back,with some really cool band member pics. The entire album was a rocker, and even the B songs were great..! I actually brought a poster of the cover art from the album a few years back.