HP Elitedesk 800 G2 mini

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

HP Elitedesk 800 G2 mini

Post by crosscourt »

I was given one of these and decided to use it as my dedicated Linux desktop. It uses the Intel 6th gen i5-6500T 35w cpu, 8gb of ram, and a conventional 500gb 2.5 HD. Nice selection of ports and is really easy to open and change parts. Ill be adding a NVme 512gb ssd, and an additional 8gb of ram to 16gb.
Will also probably add a wifi card and internal antennas but I typically prefer to use ethernet. Ill post back once Im done working on it and have tested it in both Win10 and Zorin more than likely.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: HP Elitedesk 800 G2 mini

Post by crosscourt »

Same person found another G2 and stopped by to give it to me, which was appreciated. Ill setup one with Win10 and the other with Linux. Will use 16gb and 512gb nvme ssd in both.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: HP Elitedesk 800 G2 mini

Post by crosscourt »

Its been a bit of a mixed bag as the sata drive caddy has some issues and the cable they use is very fragile anf both broke. Im presently using the M.2 slot with nvme ssds but its nice to have additional storage options. Bios haf some issues and had some intermittent bootup problems because it doesnt like certain kinds of ram which is typically not a problem but Samsung appears to be the winner. I see why these were given away but on Ebay they cost around $65.
Site Moderator