RSS hiccup?

Report problems with the forums
wove

RSS hiccup?

Post by wove »

My RSS feed for the forum showed this post in the feed:

"Distros • Rumors of immutable version of Ubuntu for desktops

May 31, 2023 at 3:37 PM

Canonical has been hinting for awhile but some of the various fan Ubuntu sites are reporting rumors that Ubuntu will offer a immutable Ubuntu OS version in 2024. I received this news from a friend of mine over at Arstechnica.
Statistics: Posted by crosscourt — Wed May 31, 2023 9:37 pm"

Clicking on the header of the feed post opens the forum in the browser with the following message:

"The requested topic does not exist."

Perhaps the RSS picked up a deleted post?
chris

Re: RSS hiccup?

Post by chris »

Not the first time it has happened - I just ignore it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Yes that post was deleted, as I wasnt comfortable posting something that couldnt be verified and changed my mind about posting it. That may be something that Dai needs to take a look at but hopefully youll bear with me at times.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

Not sure what I would need to look at, when a post is created it would be added to the rss feed and if then it gets deleted it should be removed but if a user has already received the feed it will then not be able to find the deleted post, sound pretty normal to me, unless you think there is something else that can/should be done to delay posting to the rss feed?
wove

Post by wove »

I apologize for the kerfuffle. I had not seen that happen before. I received the headline and summary, and in going to the full content view where I got the "content does not exist" and did not know what was going on.

I apologize as well for posting the message content, that the poster had deleted. I was not astute enough in the moment to think through that the poster did not want the content posted and that I had in point of fact just re-posted it. I am sorry for that @crosscourt. In the future I will simply ignore items in my feed where that occurs.

On further reflexion I assume that is just the way RSS would work. If the admin cleans up the forum of old posts, the web forum would lose the content, but an RSS reader would have already picked up the content and stored it on my local machine. I guess it becomes another example of where once something shows up on the web, it will show up somewhere forever.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

No apologies necessary @wove, it's a legitimate question if you don't already know. :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

No apologies needed wove as Ill second Dais thoughts on the matter. Ill try to keep changes on the forums to a minimum in the future. To Dai, some type of delay to the RSS feed might avoid this if its at all possible.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I'll look into it now :)