HP elitedesk 705 g4 mini

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

HP elitedesk 705 g4 mini

Post by crosscourt »

Just traded for one and its a nice system. Mini pc form factor, uses a Ryzen 5 2400g which has the Vegas 11 gpu on cpu. Can use either M.2 NVme 2230/2280 or Sata 2.5 ssds and up to 32gb of ram. It has 6 3.1 USB ports and one USB-c with two display ports and one VGA, ethernet port, and wifi buly in. You can get other type of ports such as HDMI to install in place of the VGA port, as it has a flex port design. Two memory slots yhat are accessible by lifting up the cpu fan. One case screw and the lid lifts off very easily and everything can be reached. Cpu is socketed but in my case Im already at the highest cpu available. Will run Linux or Win10 just fine but Win11 isnt supported. Will post back once I make a few changes, update bios and run the system more.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: HP elitedesk 705 g4 mini

Post by crosscourt »

Finished up the overall install and upgrade and it runs great. With the built in Vegas 11 graphics into the Ryzen 5 2400g, many of my older games run great on it. Its running 16g of ddr4 3200 ram, and I added for now a WD SN570 NVme 1.4 512gb ssd. They also offer a sata ssd cage with fan online that I mi8ght pickup as well to allow using another drive,since theres only one m.2 slot. Overall performance is excellent. Thermals are good as the Ryzen is a 65w cpu and the small mini case uses a perforated top, along with the copper based cpu cooler. Will post back once Ive tried with more apps.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Woke up this morning and my g4 was on, which surprised me. My Alienware system use to do this all the time due to a crappy bios. It turned out that the bios has a setting to wake up the system any or all days of the week at a specific time. Mine was set to 5am all seven days.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im very intrigued by the Ryzen APUs as it offers a way to play games and still be productive in a small package with few disadvantages at a lower cost.
Thinking of heading in this direction down the road and using mini pcs with faster APUs to avoid buying GPUs in the future.
Whats interesting is that HP has a HP Elitedesk mini that uses an APU but also has a slot to place a GPU into the system, more than likely using a mobile GPU. Given the size of these systems thats pretty amazing and it offers a wider range of choices to users. Down the road APUs may actually become the choice for low to mainstream users rather than spending a huge amount of cash on a video card.
Im adding 32gb of ram to my G4 mini and will be actively using it for games to see what it can do.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Added 32gb of ram and I was able to pickup the sata drive caddy with fan for it, which will give me more options.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It will be interesting to see with AMDs new APU offerings coming, will discrete gpus even be necessary for many users and even budget to mid-range gamers.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Increasing the nvme ssd drive from 512gb to 1tb Crucial P5 plus ssd. Ive been amazed how much I can do with this system and in the future even with gaming it may become a better overall choice.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My wife changed her mind and gave me the Dell 8940 XPS back and instead wants to use the HP 705 G4 mini pc in her office.
I ordered her a 2tb nvme ssd, and it has 32gb of ram already. It will not only handle anything she can throw at it but it uses less power and has an incredibly small foot print.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been gaming with the g4 extensively just to see what it can do and the 2400g apu can play most of my games at 60fps which amazed me. Wont work with AAA titles but Esport titles you wouldnt do too badly.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Traded for two more of these and one Im using as an older game system. The IGP is good enough you can also play some more modern games with no issues. It idles at 12w and ive never seen it go above 55w on use.
Site Moderator