Dell XPS 8940 special edition

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: Dell XPS 8940 special edition

Post by crosscourt »

No issues with the 2x16gb ddr4 3200 ram but I tried to add 2x8gb sticks od the same spec ram and system wont boot. Just wanted to see if it would work,
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

So how are you liking the system with 32GB of RAM. Your initial comments about 16GB being enough, was correct for me in that I am not really doing anything more with 32GB than I did with 16GB. However everything feels so much more fluid. Changing workspaces and switching applications is much snappier. A heavy task can run reliably and quietly in the background, while the system remains responsive and fully useful for other chores.

So for me while 32GB of RAM is definitely a greedy case of self indulgence, I am really very happy with the results.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

In general use I dont notice that much of a difference between 16/32gb but in games its very noticeable. Some of my games like having 32gb of ram and it shows in the FPS and the overall feel of the game. Ive tested quite a few games with both 16gb and 32gb with mixed results but it depends a lot on the game, game engine and the quality of the programming. Some games 32gb really makes a huge difference in how smooth the game is and reduces the lag effect outside of my other graphical settings. FPS hasnt changed a lot but Ive noted a range of 3-10 FPS with 32gb over what I get with 16gb.
If you dont have the cash Id stick to 16gb as the sweet spot. Very pleased so far with how my system is performing.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Decided to give this pc to my wife and let her get use to it over the summer for business use. She needs a more powerful system that will have 32gb of ram and a 2tb NVme ssd.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I had an issue with this pc that I thought was related to Win11 but that turned out not to be the case. The nvme ssd speed dropped by 60% and I finally found a solution to the issue. After updating to the latest bios, 2.13.1 I decided to try resetting the bios to bios defaults, not factory default and finally everything was back to normal. The bios upgrade didnt change a thing as I tested it right after with the original factory settings. Just clicking on bios defaults and rebooting did the trick and the much faster speeds were back.
Site Moderator