The Scorpions

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
CaptNoize

The Scorpions

Post by CaptNoize »

I don't know if anyone on here has checked out a CD by the Scorpions, called Humanity: Hour 1.(2007) It's a concept album about a civil war between humanity and robots.(AI) Seems the Scorps are somewhat ahead of their time. It's worth checking out. Especially, the song " Humanity ".
wove

Re: The Scorpions

Post by wove »

I had not heard of the group. I looked them up and listened to a song and some snippets on YouTube. I do like listening to a variety of different music, but like with movies and books, once I have seen it, read it, or listened to it, I do not want to do it again. And of course the first song that pops up on YouTube is one I had heard before, so after singing along with them for a few bars, I moved on to read about them. I read on wikipedia that they were a German band. The clips I came across on YouTube were all in English. Did they put out any of their music where the vocals were in German? I did not come across a free to listen to version of the song you mentioned, just options to purchase the album.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Big fan of the Scorpions and Ill check this out. Scorpions did put out their music in German for their European fans.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I toured with the Scorpions as a system engineer in the eighties. They were selling out arenas and stadiums in the U.S. then. I would suggest wove you check out a live concert on YouTube. Humanity the last time I checked, was free on YouTube. I actually listened to the whole CD in my shop,from YouTube, for free.
These guys are one of the reasons I was playing guitar.(along with Judas Priest) I discovered these guys in 1975, with their "Fly To The Rainbow" album. Yes, I said album , when vinyl ruled the world.
I was Blown away by the playing on that album. It took me a month to learn the title track, Fly to the Rainbow, the sincopation is amazing..! :shock: :shock: :D :D
wove

Post by wove »

Judas Priest covered a Joan Baez song. I forget which one, but it really was a very unique take. I was working with a fellow, who was all into Judas Priest and ended up listening to way more of their music, than I personally would have wanted to.

I will dig deeper into YouTube for "Humanity". Always do appreciate people pointing out new to me music I can listen to.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

The song you're speaking of is Diamonds and Rust. It was on their " Sin After Sin" album,and also " Unleashed In The East" live in Japan Lp.
wove

Post by wove »

Thanks for the memories on that. There are a few versions of Diamonds and Rust on YouTube. The last time I heard that was probably back about the time it came out and was popular. I was still working for an engineering firm at that time and we had a contract with the USGS to update maps of the Boundary Waters in Northern Minnesota. That is all swamps so the work is done in the winter when it is frozen over.

We were using very early versions of GPS. The equipment weighed a hundred pounds and we used car batteries to power it. Of course having power allowed us to have a radio with us. Some old boom box I imagine, pulling in some AM station from Winnipeg or Duluth or maybe even Minneapolis. The guys I worked with were all young fellow and into metal.

We worked out at night, because we needed to use the stars, it was cold very cold very windy and we were the only humans in probably a 50 mile radius. Cranking up the boom box in the middle of a flat frozen ice covered world, created a very interesting sound scape. A much nicer sound than what I get from YouTube. But the wonderful thing about music is the stirring inside your head are always more lush than the sound coming from outside your head.

Anyway thanks for the memories from a very different and long past time in my life.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

It carries me back to a time in 1976, when I got my drivers license. I remember riding around in my jacked up Jeep Cherokee, with the big tires and white 8 spoke wheels. At that time, I had spent a pile of money on a great Pioneer stereo system. I remember listening to Boston's first album on 8 track.Thin Lizzy's " Jail Break", Rush's "All The World's a Stage, and UFO's " Force It " albums were extremely popular back then. Cruising around, in the Summer, with the windows down, blaring the tunes, wind in your hair, ...that was the Life...😍
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Also a fan of Def Leppard.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

That was my first " mini tour " I did in 1980. Def Leppard was the opening act, The Scorpions was next, followed by Judas Priest, as headliner.
Def Leppard was supporting their "On Thru The Night" Lp ( which BTW , is absolutely amazing..!) Scorpions supporting "Love Drive" and Priest was supporting " British Steel".
I did that for the last leg of the East Coast tour.( About 2 months) I was 20 years old, and learned alot. Also found out how much I didn't know. :roll: