Ubuntu 23.04

Discussion on Linux distributions
wove

Ubuntu 23.04

Post by wove »

Ubuntu 23.04 was released the other day and I had to give it a try if for no other reason that just nostalgia. I installed it on my X230 tablet, since its touch screen, screen rotation, and stylus provide a good opportunity to see how well a distro supports less than common hardware. I also tried it because I read it was a good solid OS and I was also interested in seeing if Thunderbird was better looking.

Ubuntu did pickup up all the X230 hardware, and installed without a hitch. It runs very well. I really do not care about the Snap vs flatpak debate, but Snap was missing an application I needed so I installed flatpak support for the Ubuntu store, and flatpaks install fine and run as well as they do on Fedora where flatpaks are native.

Overall it is a very nice upgrade. Ubuntu has very much moved their UI over to being very close to a standard Gnome UI. They do keep their Yaru theme, their dock placement, and of course their snaps. However I think if you are comfortable working in Gnome, you will find the Ubuntu UI very workable. I will probably setup Thunderbird, but I still see it as a convoluted and confusing application, for what is a really easy straight forward tasks.

A big reason for the Ubuntu install was that quickemu and quickgui have their own PPAs, which makes installing them on Ubuntu very easy. I have installed them, but not yet tried them out. Overall an X230 is not really great hardware for running VMs.
crosscourt

Re: Ubuntu 23.04

Post by crosscourt »

Its funny you post this as I was going to give Ubuntu 23.04 a look. Ive enjoyed the change from KDE and a lot of that came from my initial use of Zorin as it has a classic Gnomr desktop option. I was a regular user of Gnome 2 in the old days and always feel a bit nostalgic about Ubuntu.
Site Moderator