Endless just works with everything.

Discussion on Linux distributions
wove

Endless just works with everything.

Post by wove »

Over the last several days I went on a mission to see if I could get all my various pieces of hardware all working together on one OS. I had by far the best luck on Endless OS. GSConnect which is the Gnome implementation of KDEConnect works flawless with Endless and I was able to connect both my tablet and my phone. I would not even have guessed that an iPhone and an iPad could do much beyond share files via NextCloud, but GSConnect provides calling, messaging as well as sharing.

Tuhi is a flatpak application for using Wacom Slate products with Linux. It works via Bluetooth and indeed it works reliably, however it does work very slowly. There is a python thing that connects Sony's no discontinued digital paper devices to Linux that I have been using for some time. It works well, although data exchange is all done via the terminal.

This was almost Apple like with "it just works". Tossing in the fact that Endless' support of touch screens and a variety of styli and you have a very very competent and productive OS.
crosscourt

Re: Endless just works with everything.

Post by crosscourt »

Its funny you should post this as Ive been testing SilverBlue and Vanilla Os and had many hardware issues as well. Endless on the same hardware has no issues at all, it just works. I prefer the smaller download with Endless and then I install the apps I want. The fact that EOS uses Wayland and accomplishes this is all the more amazing since Ive had issues with Wayland at times.
If youre looking for a no fuss OS that gets out of the way and just lets you work Endless is it. Havent found any issues just using Flatpak and no problems with apps so far.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I have not tried Vanilla OS. I do like SilverBlue. But yeah, for just getting work done, Endless is very hard to beat. I am sort of amazed at how it flies so far below the radar. If you are not looking for Endless, you will most likely never trip across it. I like to install the big (16GB) Endless iso. Doesn't everyone need an app about how to brush your teeth? :) The educational apps are something of a delight. Master how an OS really works, by playing a text adventure game, way cool.

Looking back through my journal, I see I have been playing around with Endless for 6.5 years. It has always been reliable and a delight to work in. I have always thought of an OS like a tradesman's shop and Endless OS is a fine shop to work in.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Vanilla OS has switched to Debian Sid so Im a bit concerned about where this will go and there are a lot of growing pains at this point. SilverBlue I like but it seems to have some issues with my older hardware which is what Im using for Linux testing. Ill play around with it more but I like it far better than the typical Fedora workstation as updates arent an issue and there are less issues overall.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Let me be more specific with SilverBlue. FSB wouldnt install with my laptop in the Edock which wasnt an issue with Endless OS. The install of FSB takes a bit longer and I really dont like Anaconda at all. I install FSB on my laptop then reinserted it into the Edock and iit worked fine. I like the fact that they allow you to install the thrid party codecs at install but there were some issues with software. Some apps that I use with EOS like brasero werent available with FSB. Comparing to EOS and in particular with Zorin the software center is pretty thin overall. I like the user interface with EOS more than FSB but I made some changes. I added the application menu and places menu which brought back memories of Gnome 2. I still need to play with the extensions more as the minimize/maxmize really gets on my nerves on FSB. These are minor but annoyances none the less. I havent done multimedia tests yet on FSB but hopefully it will go as well as EOS.
Site Moderator