Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

MX Linux 21.3 released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: MX Linux 21.3 released

Post by crosscourt »

Updated to 21.3 and no issues. Its mostly bug fixes and some additional kernels.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

I must admit I am quite impressed with this release - good to see 4.18 on Bullseye.
I do find MX a bit over the top with all the various tools and bits, it seems daft to deliberately create a non-default desktop layout as default and then provide a tweak tool to put it back to 'normal' - but no matter it's easily fixed.

Still playing in VirtualBox - with 3d Acceleration disabled as that seems to cause desktop glitches. Need to bottom out their hideously over complex unattended upgrades configuration.....
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I use the KDE version and its frankly one of the best. Yes it overdoes things a bit but theyve tried to make it appeal to a wide range of users. The auto connect issue with wifi has been fixed and a few minor issues with the GUI were also fixed. I havent had any issues with the unattended upgrades in my version and its pretty much what Im use to with MX. Dont use the XFCE version so Ill have to rely on your comments as to how that turned out. I dont use Virtualbox as I prefer to run live media and then install and run it directly to hardware.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

It works stellar for me. No problems. What some of you consider excessive, I think it's just fine. So what if there's extra things on it to run??? That's why there's a " task manager"! Go shut stuff off..! :roll: I have it on all three of my machines. No issues whatsoever. Hey,..and has everyone forgotten... It's Free..! :lol:
wove

Post by wove »

What a marvelous attitude. Like the price, like the way it works, not bothered by extra stuff. I could do that a whole lot better than I do, if I did not keep tripping over things that are mostly of little consequence. :(
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Most of the extras in MX Linux are GUI based tools to do things that typically are done in Command Line. They also include a lot of MX packages where you can install kernels, DEs, and other software with a single click.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

6.0 kernel is now the default for MX Linux. Theyve also expanded their offerings a lot in MX package installer.
One oddity is when Im using my Dell Edock it changes my big monitor resolution to 1366x768 and always sees only the laptop setting. If I manually change iot to desktop, then it offers me the right resolution. It doesnt save the setting so you have to do it again every time you login. Zorin doesnt have this problem and detects it correctly every time. I havent tried any other Debian based KDE distros to see if they do the same thing.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

MX has been sending me updates every day. I update when I'm done at day's end.I'm still happy with the way MX is working, altho, I don't use it for alot of intense computing. This is really big for me, since I'm Never happy😤
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Debian 12 is on the way so youll see a new version of MX. I dont use Linux for anything intensive.
Site Moderator