MY GRANDFATHER'S GUN

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
CaptNoize

MY GRANDFATHER'S GUN

Post by CaptNoize »

I though I might share this story with all of you, tho it doesn't pertain to computers,or even electronics. My Grandfather died in 1977. He's been gone for 46 years. In the 1960's, he gave my father, his old 12 gauge shotgun. This old relic was made in 1903, by New Worchester Firearms, in Warren, Mass. It has Damascus barrels, the first way they built gun barrels. It had fed him,my grandmother,my mom, 2 aunts,and my uncle, during the late 1920's and thru the Great Depression of the 1930's.
They were very poor, and destitute, since work was hard to get. But my grandfather worked as a coal miner,for many years, then he got a job working full-time in a local steel mill. He gave the old gun to my father, since he didn't need it to supply food for his family,his children had grown, and left, and his financial situation had changed from having to struggle to get food to having money to buy food. My father tried over the years to get his "friends" to restore this old gun, but they always had excuses why they didn't get it done.
Since I 've quit my job, and am waiting to see if I get my disability, I thought I would restore it, finally. After much work, and help from a good woodworking friend of mine, the gun looks mint again...! Upon checking the serial number, to find out when the gun was built( it's 120 years old) the serial number is 6777. I live at house number 677...!! Is this coincidental..?? 😲😲😁 And BTW.. The gun fires and operates perfectly..!
crosscourt

Re: MY GRANDFATHER'S GUN

Post by crosscourt »

Thats amazing and 120 years old!
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Saw the pics you sent me and its a very cool gun. Nice job on the restoration.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Thanks CC...! It was alot of work, but well worth it..!😁