What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

Wittling down the excess of hardware I have and deciding what to keep and what to sell or ditch. The Lenovo Thinkcentre M600 tiny ended up to be a bust but the M700 are nice and will end up as my home entertainment systems. Older Dell desktops will eventually be on their way out and Ill keep my mid-towers for older gaming purposes. Already gotten rid of some older laptops and I still have to go thru a lot of accessories and junk.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im presently using my Ryzen Win11 gaming system and a Dell E6440 laptop in an Edock with Win10 and MX Linux. I can pop hard drives in and out of the laptop easily and still disconnect and take the laptop elsewhere if I choose. Its worked out a lot better than what I was doing previously with multiple systems. Still working on preferences and how to approach things in the future.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I got my 980evo in. If you dont' remember, this is a chinese knock-off SATA drive 2TB that is designed with the colors and basic look of a Samsung. They can get away with it because Samsung never released a 980evo drive. All testing shows it's a genuine 2TB SSD. For $35 after shipping, that is one heck of a deal. The performance isn't fantastic, even for SATA, but then it's also being benchmarked in a USB 3.0 enclosure plugged into the front USB 3 port on my desktop...so I don't really know how much that hurt the performance. But it does work. So, I'm happy.
980evo_2TB.1.png
980evo_2TB.1.png (69.91 KiB) Viewed 1269 times
980evo_2TB.2.png
980evo_2TB.2.png (70.29 KiB) Viewed 1269 times
980evo_2TB.3.png
980evo_2TB.3.png (66.19 KiB) Viewed 1269 times
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Can you tell who makes the drive or what chips and controller its using?
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

It's YMTC (chinese company) chips with a chinese controller. Dramless. So 100% chinese manufacture.

Edit, I did some googling, and it's actually a Realtek controller. RayMX by Realtek. Probably the RM1135, but the actual model is illegible.
wove

Post by wove »

Do you happen to still have the url from where you purchased? At that price I am very tempted. I was looking at a drive for incoming wife's t580, and Amazon and Newegg 500GB drives are 30-35.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

As a matter of fact yes, because I hadn't clicked on "confirm receipt" yet.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568048 ... _shipto=US

I can say that this seems like a great value drive. It's not going to set any awards for performance by any stretch of the imagination, but if you have a laptop that has only 1 m.2 SATA slot, and you need a good sized drive, good luck finding a drive near this capacity for this price.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thanks for the link I may buy one.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

If I still had more laptops that used m.2 SATA, I'd probably buy a few more myself now that I know they're "real". :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive got laptops, mini pcs and desktops that can use it but I already have some both nvme and 2.5 sata so having one of these is great. Just ordered it and should be here in mid February.
Site Moderator