What hardware are you looking towards for 2023

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

What hardware are you looking towards for 2023

Post by crosscourt »

Im not headed for any newer tech in 2023, just improving what I have overall. Upgrades will be the name of the game until 2025, when major hardware changes will occur.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you looking towards for 2023

Post by tlmiller »

I don't PLAN on getting anything new...however...we know how well I do NOT buying things, so it's unrealistic to think that I won't.

So, being more realistic, I would at some point in the year like to get a Raptor Lake laptop, and also a Zen4 based laptop.
wove

Post by wove »

I am finding myself somewhat bored with computers. Feels kind of like they are all the same. The T580 is faster than the X230, but I do the same stuff on both so nothing was really gained. Since it is winter and I need an inside project, I am back to thinking I need a 3d printer. I replaced the railing around the landing at the top of the stairs, and I think the newel posts would look great with 3d printed gargoyles on top of them. It would also provide an opportunity to become half-assed at a whole new suite of software.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

When I move to new hardware its for a reason. My Alienware R10 was to help with newer games, my other system wasnt quite able to run well. If I dont have advanced needs I dont buy anything newer unless I want to use it for testing purposes. Compatibility though has become an issue at times and the slightly newer hardware runs more reliably overall with Linux and Windows. In some cases OS change and you no longer have a choice and have to move on to newer hardware. If you never do anything that requires better hardware the feel will about the same between old an newer. Maybe branch out a bit more and try something different with software and allow the newer laptop to shine.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I mean, when I move to new hardware it's for a reason too. It's just that reason is USUALLY "Oh look, it's shiny and pretty!!! I want it!!!" :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

You do it to try it, evaluate and enjoy the experience. I use to work on a hardware site and loved testing new hardware.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

wove wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:17 am Since it is winter and I need an inside project, I am back to thinking I need a 3d printer. I replaced the railing around the landing at the top of the stairs, and I think the newel posts would look great with 3d printed gargoyles on top of them. It would also provide an opportunity to become half-assed at a whole new suite of software.
I bought one around 18 months ago (Ender 3 Pro) and it is definitely a good thing to have around, especially if you are like me and like to create things. I have used it for many different things including upgrading my hobby cnc (another great little tool which is very similar in use to 3d printers) and all sorts of things around the house.
Be warned though it can be time consuming when you start designing your own stuff, I have spent many hours using openscad to create 3d designs (fantastic if you like scripting and linking projects) and tried freecad but found it less user friendly than openscad although I'm often noted for being niche in many respects. Overall though I think I will always have a 3d printer around now as I can easily make a useful part for many things in a fraction of the time (and cost) it would take to get it elsewhere.
wove

Post by wove »

“tlmiller” wrote:It's just that reason is USUALLY "Oh look, it's shiny and pretty!!! I want it!!!"
To be honest that is one of my main motivations as well. I just hate to admit it out loud. I try and be all serious and pragmatic, but underneath I am that 5 year old going "Wow".
wove

Post by wove »

“daw-trying” wrote:I have used it for many different things including upgrading my hobby cnc
Now you got me drooling. I tried for years to get the organ shop to purchase a cnc router, to no avail. I would like to see your shop. I find it great fun to futz about and make stuff. Typically in my case it usually involves turning raw materials into scrap. So I have to ask myself. "Does the world need more plastic waste. :(
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

My cnc was originally about £150 but I have since spent double that to enhance it with a brush-less spindle and linear rails and more robust bits too, I do enjoy tinkering with my toys but have had to put those projects on hold until it warms up a little as I have no heating in the garage and it's too cold to be out there for very long.

As for 3d printer "waste" I have been looking at getting an extruder setup to recycle all my old prints, at the moment they are sitting in a garbage bag in a corner waiting... maybe this summer ;)

Oh, and my "shop" as a rather cluttered space in the garage among the array of tools and junk that I just can't bear to part with :D