Fedora 37 KDE spin.

Discussion on Linux distributions
wove

Fedora 37 KDE spin.

Post by wove »

I installed Fedora 37 KDE spin on the T580. I think it is a keeper. KDE now has swipe gestures to change workspaces, which I found a killer feature of Gnome. There is a kwin script which when clicking the maximize button automatically takes the window full screen and moves it to a new workspace, which I also find to be a killer feature.

Discover is a decent app source and if you like older school there is "dnfdragora" which is a Muon/Synaptic clone which also works very well. As I mentioned earlier Discover will also handle hardware firmware update. One irritation is that after download the 3.2GB iso and installing, I was notified that 4.1GB update was available. That is a lot of update for a distro that has been out for just over a month.

For my general use Elisa is a fine music program. Radio streams are easily added, and I did add some music to /home/music was picked up and listed by Elisa. It could use an equalizer. It also does not appear to try and find album art or lyrics.

Konqueror is just getting better and better. I do not think it uses chrome or firefox extensions, but it does have a few built in. The one extension I use often is "translate" and that is built in. On Fedora anyway it comes preloaded with several ad-block lists. You can select webengine, webkit, or KHTML for web site rendering. I know that Konqueror has been supplanted by Dolphin as a file manager, but it is actually an excellent file manager. It is so nicely tied into the Plasma desktop. When opening a pdf for instance the tab just turns into an Okular window. A png or jpeg opens a ShowFoto tob where the image can be edited. It opens a working terminal area in the directory where opened.

The little stuff has been very good as well. It picked up my network printer and scanner. All the laptop hardware is recognized and usable right down to the special fn keys. It did not take long at all to get use to the offset keyboard with a numbpad, but there are a few times when I go to hit "enter" I do hit "4" or "left cursor key" and for an editor like Kate using the numbpad for navigation is sweet.
crosscourt

Re: Fedora 37 KDE spin.

Post by crosscourt »

Nice to see youve become a KDE convert.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I have been trying for close to a couple decades to be a KDE convert. But KDE has always just been too disjointed for me to find it a productive environment. Konqueror is a marvel of integration in KDE and really shows the potential for QT and KDEframeworks, however it seems to just stand alone in that regard.

KDE has some excellent graphics applications. Digikam and Krita are very powerful and capable, built on the same the frameworks. Yet they seem to come from different solar systems. I would expect them to work together in a potent workflow, but no neither is of any particular use to the other.KDE is a very nice desktop, maybe even my favorite desktop. But it is for me just not a very productive desktop. For me anyway it just really feels disjointed, falling far short of its potential.

In a system where the DE’s primary function is to be an application launcher and file manager, I think KDE is about as good as it gets. KDE’s integration potential peaked back with KDE3 (which is why I like Trinity). KDE 5 has been focused in iterating the DE, perhaps KDE6 will bring the focus around to integration. There is no question I would like use KDE, I just have trouble getting anything done on KDE.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I make KDE into what I want and thats where the customization features are really handy. I actually dont want it really integrated and the many of the K apps artent really what I want. KDE offers a lot of freedom and I use it to advantage. It depends a lot on how you use your system as to how you want it configured/designed.
Having said that Im using Zorin OS 16.2 core as my everyday OS now, slowly moving towards being able to drop Windows down the road. The custom Gnome Shell I really like and you can use whatever variety of desktop design you prefer from Windows to Gnome. It does everything well and makes everyday use a breese. For me its an inspired distro I could recommend to anyone from beginner to advanced user.
Site Moderator