Tis the season!!

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: Tis the season!!

Post by tlmiller »

And according to USPS, the laptop should be here tomorrow, the ram on Saturday, and according to UPS the drive on Friday!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Please post a separate thread on the laptop with your experiences and thoughts. If we had a larger site Id love for you to be the tech/hardware editor and go to town with reviews.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So my "blog" at linuxquestions.org is EXCEEDINGLY basic hardware reviews.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Linux hardware reviews with a lot of detail and experience driven writing are the bomb. Its just tough to get anybody to do it on a regular basis.
I havent read your blog, can you post a link?
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... ler-25414/

Again, these are not super detailed, mostly because I'm lazy. They're very basic written to give people an idea of how linux friendly hardware is, and if there's any major issues and the basic value.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thanks, took a look and yes its more like a personal blog which still offers some info to readers. I actually dont like heavily detailed reviews and prefer medium detail with more commentary based on the writers experience with the laptop. People trying to find hardware sometimes need to be talked to rather than forcing them to assimilate a lot of tech info they may not find helpful.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Got the Mushkin Vortex Red installed. The ram I'm waiting for, it was supposed to be delivered today according to UPS, but it's a UPS > USPS delivery again. So while the LAST one was quick, the 3 before that all added 3-4 days to the delivery time, so I'm expecting Thursday or Friday to get my ram. Poor thing is definitely starved for ram, you can watch systemmonitor as the CPU is at like 40% CPU, but it's out of ram and freezing up that it's massively prevented from being faster by lack of ram. Still, did benchmarks on the drive and I'm pretty impressed given this was the 3rd cheapest PCIe 4 drive I could find brand new...

wove

Post by wove »

That is pretty darn good. My 512GB Vulcan Z Teamgroup drive arrived and I installed it. In use it seems alright(?). So anyway I downloaded KDiskMark to see how it would compare with yours.

It is pathetic. Your numbers are ~15X higher than mine across the board. Damn you, now I just second class. :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Those numbers wont be realized unless you are working with really large files. Most people dont use their system in a fashion that would allow all the goodness to be used most of the time. Latency will definitely improve and youll still see good speed with average tasks regardless. Even loading my games there isnt a substancial difference in time.
Ive got a WD SN570 that gets into the 3000smb read and high 2000smb write but it doesnt feel substancially better than my lowly Sata ssd that gets 560mb read and 500mb write.
Ive got the Vulcan drive as well and its numbers are good but the EX Team Group drive actually outperforms it.
Adding ram though makes a huge difference but again depends on how you use your system.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

wove wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:11 am That is pretty darn good. My 512GB Vulcan Z Teamgroup drive arrived and I installed it. In use it seems alright(?). So anyway I downloaded KDiskMark to see how it would compare with yours.

It is pathetic. Your numbers are ~15X higher than mine across the board. Damn you, now I just second class. :)
I mean, it's a SATA drive. The bus it's on is is limited to 600 MBps in a theoretically perfect world. The new drive of mine is a PCIe 4x4 drive, theoretically got a 8,000 MBps max in a perfect world.