Retirement

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
tlmiller

Re: Retirement

Post by tlmiller »

It is what it is, but it is most definitely used frequently for those who have Shingles. This I know from 2nd hand experience. Like I said, ALMOST everyone I know who's ever had shingles was given gabapenton, including my own father, and a good friend at my last job who got it 6 months before they'd give her the vaccine.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

As with all drugs prescribed to me, I do quite a bit of research on them. So, like CC, mentioned, this drug is a anti seizure medication. It was originally designed to relieve epileptic seizures. Then it was discovered that it had a beneficial analgesic side effect. So, as usual, medical professionals started prescribing it for all sorts of nerve pain issues. I think, just to really see what kinds of pain it would eliminate. So, my research revealed that males,40-58 taking large doses(more than 1000 mg) of this drug, a day, was prone to cause liver cancer in a small percentage of test subjects. :shock: Now, this is probably rare, but better to know the ramifications of taking this drug. In my case, 300 mg a day is small, and probably not risky. I have to take it, or the ab pain is excruciating.
AFWIW.. I got my Shingrex shots a few years ago. My father had shingles 30 years ago, and I remember how much misery he was in. So far,no signs of it, in me. I do remember, it kicked my ars, for about a week. If you don't have the shots...GET THEM..!
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've still got 4 years before they'll let me get the shingles vaccine. But I definitely do plan on it, as I know what my dad went through as well, and there is NO way I wanna deal with that.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Two of my customers were in today. One is 68,and he's been retired since he was 62. The other is 58,and is still working as a electrician. I was telling them about what I had to deal with at my last job. They both told me to retire. John(68) said that he has never been so happy since he retired. And he's busy doing sound for shows, and he takes the good jobs, and rejects the bad ones. The SSI avails him the latitude he wants,to do the things he enjoys. I'm really considering calling it a career after the first of the year.
wove

Post by wove »

I retired at 62. It was not something I was planning on doing, but it just worked out that way. Your friend John seems to have a good handle on what is talking about. Take on the things that interest you and ignore the rest. Social Security is not going to have you spending winters in the Carribean, but at least in our case it is sufficient to have a pleasant life. And it is even more pleasant and luxurious when you are only doing things that interest you.

Everyone needs to take their own route to retirement and feel comfortable with the decision they make. The biggest thing I notice about folk's enjoyment of retirement is, "Can you keep yourself pleasantly occupied, without the structure of a job and regular routine?" I have no trouble keeping my days filled. I have noticed though that for many once a regular routine of a job is gone, they are really rather lost. I will say it did take me a few months before I allowed myself to accept reading a book is a perfectly OK way to spend the day.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I wanted to work till 70 but a combination of health issues and the terrible situation at work created a much faster exit. Dont regret retiring at all, but money always lingers in the back of your mind. Im the same as wove as I always find things to keep me busy, between tech, gaming and online work. If the pandemic starts to wane and my health improves Ill probably do some pc tech work down the road.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

My situation is/was a lot like CC's. And you're exactly right wove, but I've already experienced the work withdrawal symptoms,the past 3 months. My life is beginning to stabilize,and I just need to decide after the first of the year, which way to go,(disability or retire,I may get denied disability). At any rate, I 'm done putting up with employers bullsh*t. I see why people go " postal ". It's been nearly 5 months, and I 'm still pissed off at how it all ended. Suffice it to say, I hold grudges. I'm tired of all the people who don't want to work, and expect me to do their damn job..! Happy Holidays.. :evil:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Same here as I still have grudges toward former bosses and the Board as I was treated very poorly. Now I see my replacement getting the same pay I got but he does about 70% of what I did. Real double standard when push me hard but let him do what he wants.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Went to my chiropractor today, and he said I look 75% better than I did the last time he saw me. He also said I was alot easier to adjust. He said my stress has dissipated alot also. However, I feel like I got hit by a truck tonight. It's to be expected. I think it does me good to great adjusted once a month. He also adjusted my bad knee..! It really helped it.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

After weighing all the facts and factors of my career, and my life, I've decided to pursue Social Security Disability, with my health issues. The jobs I applied for, didn't come thru, and I won't entertain any thought of working for less money, just to be a " contributing member of society". I've done my service for King and Country. I will work when and IF I can, I beat myself up, for 50 years,doing physical labor. I'm expecting to have to seek legal representation to get disability,since those blood sucking grave robbers, will deny me my SSD. It's a real shame, you work all your life for your retirement money, and those pricks fight you to get it. What a shame.... :x :x :x :roll: