Whats the oldest desktop youre using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
CaptNoize

Re: Whats the oldest desktop youre using?

Post by CaptNoize »

Yes,
That's the one. You helped me with it before. I just bought another Dell Optiplex 7010 last nite on Ebay. It has an i7 500_gig HD, 8 gig of RAM. No OS. It sets flat, not upright. $96.00 shipping included. I intend to put MX Linux on it also. Do I need anymore than 8 gig of RAM..? Does it matter how much..?
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

8gb of ram should be fine unless you use it for more than just everyday tasks,but preferably run 2x4gb so you get the benefit of dual channel ram(the effect wont be huge but its still better than a single stick of 8gb}.
I knew you had the HP Pavilion but wasnt sure what exact model it was. but the X64 X2 is a good processor. 7010 is a much better pc though. I just purchased two 7010 mid towers with 3.4ghz i5, 8gb of ram each for $95 from Ebay.
Many of my clients use older pcs like the Pavilion but always amazed how many use various versions of the Optiplex systems. I also own 4 Optiplex 7010 sff systems that can lie flat, as my wife uses one for work. I use cheap 2.5 ssds in many of them as I cant stand the slower drives any more.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Since it has a stick of 8gb of ram, would it be more sensible to just buy another stick of 8
gig..?
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

You dont have to but having 2 sticks of 8gb will give you the ability to do more things if you choose.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I 'll wait till it gets here,and see what shape it's in. I'll probably just add 1 more stick of 8 gb.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

The Hp Pavilion was built 12-15-2006. the shop Dell Optiplex was built 05-02-2013. The newer Dell (flat top) manufacture date is 05-13-2014. It's seems pretty nice,it has 2 sticks of 4 gig of RAM. Real clean inside. Just a few scuffs on the chassis...Who cares...? I might put MX Linux KDE on this one.
So tried loading the new computer with MX Linux KDE. After longer than usual install, program began experiencing error codes. Then, log offs for no reason. Then, I heard a "clicking" coming from the HD. Yep.. Hard drive failing. After 2 hours, of trying to install, I quit. I contacted CC directly, and we determined a HD failure. I ordered a Crucial ssd from Amazon, which will be here this week. I will install and load new OS. I will let you know how it goes. :roll: :ugeek:
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

So,
I got this Dell Optiplex upgraded with a new ssd and 16 Gb. I then installed MX Linux XFCE on it. I know how to do mostly everything I need to do with XFCE, so I just stuck with that OS. After installing, everything worked fine, except for FireFox. It kept crashing every time I opened it. I had to reinstall it, and then it worked fine. I ended up downloading some other packages, such as Skype, FreeOffice, and Compiz with Emerald.
It all seems to work fine,so this will be my backup, if one of my other machines fail. :roll:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

When I first installed MX 21 awhile back they were still using Firefox 78 ESR I think which stunned me. I uninstalled it and instead installed the regular Firefox 102 at that time. MX at times does some silly things but nothing major.
Site Moderator