A New Job

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
wove

Re: A New Job

Post by wove »

I agree with crosscourt that sound gig is fascinating. Having worked a lot in big churches, I can say for certain at no point in the design or building of the structure was any thought put into acoustics of the structure. Heaps of money are poured into working around that deficiency. And they do remodeling and redecorating without any thought to acoustics either. Adding hanging banners from the ceiling, carpeting aisles, putting padding on pews all of which impact the sounds. They call and say, "The organ does not sound right.". Of course the organ sounds the same as it always has, you just changed the acoustics it is working in.

Generally as far as churches go, it still seems to be a venue that encourages best behavior in people. Not much rowdiness, little cursing, and less horseplay. It feels like it would be a very creative job, being able to imagine a sound scape for a space and then actually create that sound scape should be very rewarding work.

It is nice to have options, good luck sorting them out. I hope it all comes togethor to your liking.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

So,
I got an email from the owner of the sound company saying that they are in the middle of a large project, and he talked to his partner, and they don't want to bring me in, during the Holidays and the middle of the job. He said he will contact me early spring, and get me hired in.
Some more people blowing smoke up my a** :x :x I could be dead by then.! :roll: I'm going take whatever comes my way, and see what works out. At this rate, retirement looks better every day. I can continue to fix electronics in my shop, and oversee the occasional festival, and enjoy what's left of my life. Instead of trying to cater to these companies that treat you like an insect. :evil: :evil: :x
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

If the sound job interests you, let them know youve had other offers and if they could make a decision sooner you might take the job. Not sure how you feel about it but doing work you enjoy is a great thing.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I've come to the conclusion that,since I did contact my prospects again,and haven't heard anything back from them, I 'm just going to keep working in my shop, I 'm only able to stand for about 4-5 hours a day(sometimes less) since the neuropathy is so bad in my legs and feet. I will try after the 1st of the year, to get disability, and if I can't get it, I can still pursue my retirement in August. I'm content with what I have,and what God has given me. Why should I try to acquire more than I already have..? I truly have no material desires,other than the necessities.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats why I decided to stop working besides the toxic work situation. My health was having issues and the pandemic period took a toll on both my mental and physical condition. I probably could have worked but it would have become tougher and tougher to deal with. Sometimes you have to make tough choices and admit to yourself youre not the same person that you use to be. Its a moment I actually dreaded as age finally caught up to me.
Site Moderator